Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
CheekyChihuahua ,a number of people commented in this thread about people being 'shot down' for giving genuine advice and I commented 'I am not surprised at all and feel it is a consequence of negative comments being made across the site by a tiny minority of members' and I would add this includes yourself.
I suggest to the people who made the comment that anyone who sees this kind of thing happening and feels concerned about it reports the posts involved using the report post button . I am not as you put it 'egging people on' to report posts . It is my job as a Moderator to suggest people with concerns report posts rather than doing as you are doing, going around the site posting negative comments and insulating that some members here are 'bullies' and 'nasties' including in a post you made in the introduction section.

Ok some members can be a little busk in their replies, the way to handle this is to reply in a pleasant way and to set an example. It is not your place to call other members names . Now if you have a problem with anything I have posted please do as you are supposed to do and contact Admin .

Contact Admin, for what?????? Because I feel you are being unfair...................wouldn't waste my time, love No more than I expect
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well said!!

I think sadly we are seeing a very negative trend being set here, by a few members. whos job they seem to have given themselves it to call out other members..which includes dictating to mods what they can and cant post on.. telling others that their post are insagnificant because they dont post enough.

Along with throwing the word bullies around to suit their needs, yeT can't see they are acting out in the same manner when they see fit.

People have a report button if they dont like what they see use .

How sad are you..................

Now you can report this post, off your go.............
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2009, 10:59 PM
We have yet to establish what the report button actually does I'm asking the question for the third time now, so far even though I have taken the advice and used it I have no idea what happens if anything, so as a tool I don't know how effective it is.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
We have yet to establish what the report button actually does I'm asking the question for the third time now, so far even though I have taken the advice and used it I have no idea what happens if anything, so as a tool I don't know how effective it is.
As far as I am aware, if you report a post, admin will look at it to see whether it breaks any rules etc and take appropriate action. That action may be that thread gets locked and off topic posts get removed etc, or that member is advised on post etc..

I know I have reported something in the past as was quite rude and it was removed the next time I checked the thread.

hope that helps
dani
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2009, 11:06 PM
To a certain extent , thanks
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-04-2009, 12:14 AM
When you report a post all you are doing is letting a mod aware _you_ feel there is a rule-break. Mods will then view the reported post and _if_ it warrants action they will act accordingly.

Please get back on topic now. Thanks.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks for your reply, I have nothing more to say on this topic, thanks.
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2009, 03:10 AM
As said by a previous poster, I would see if the problem is just with this jogger, or joggers in general.
Either have a chat with this jogger as you said you would in a previous post and see if they would be willing to cooperate in a bit of training.
If he says no, use a friend as a stooge jogger (dressed in similar clothes to the "enemy" jogger) and see how your dog reacts.

Approaching this problem from a training point of view, as soon as you have established the exact problem (1 jogger, or all joggers) the problem will be really easy to fix.

If the problem is just with this one jogger, you can avoid him, or reduce chasing problems....if you discover after some observation experiments that it is a universal jogger problem, then us guys at Dogsey can help you even further.

You are definately on the right track with teaching the "stop" command.
Some other things you may want to try are maybe jogging yourself with your dog on lead beside you. What this will do is teach him exactly what is happening when someone is running past (i.e, its not a chase game, just someone moving a little faster), also if you have him on lead, it will teach him the correct way to act around a jogger- to trot next to them in the heel position. Then, you get your recall going once he has had a little jog out of his system.lol.
I tried this approach with my mums dog (a staffie/whippet/terrier of all things) and what we found is that if a jogger went past him whilst I was stationary, he would follow them, trotting along next to them. He never jumped, barked or tried to stop them anymore...he just wanted to join in on their jog. All the joggers he ever did it to usually stopped a couple seconds after as they were pissing themselves laughing at their new running partner.

Another method I have seen is using a stooge runner so that if your dogs recall fails and he continues towards the runner, the dog gets squirted in the face with water. I have never tried this method myself, but I imagine the results are quick as the dog will learn to associate joggers with a water pistol and want to avoid them. If your dogs likes water and you dont think water in the face would bother him, use a shaker bottle of coins or pebbles.

I know you said you were not going to reply to the post again, but I hope this gives you some suggestions to deal with the problem. As I said at the beginning, you need to first establish if the problem is just with one jogger or may be a general jogger problem.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by fimberly View Post
...Another method I have seen is using a stooge runner so that if your dogs recall fails and he continues towards the runner, the dog gets squirted in the face with water. I have never tried this method myself, but I imagine the results are quick as the dog will learn to associate joggers with a water pistol and want to avoid them.
And, the dog could also associate the jogger with something unpleasant and this can make him want to chase them off even more... it's always a risk when using aversives...

Best advice is from this guy who lives in Cumbria and works with chasers and also dogs who may simply not recall :

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...g-chasing.html

but of course if the problem is fear then the way to go is to address the fear.

Wys
x
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for both your replies I did say I had nothing more to say on this topic, but I appreciate that you have both taken the time to offer constructive advice. The problem does seem to be with just this one jogger Brin doesn't react to others now or people on bikes, we haven't seen this jogger since , well I've never seen him at all. I wish I could go jogging with Brin, I used to jog when I was younger with my Mums guide dog she was brilliant she used to jog along side me, a perfect running partner, but I injured my knee playing bowls, so my jogging days are long gone.
Thanks again and for the link too.
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10