View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
The reason I will continue to help Many Tears and other rescues is simple...and here she is ....

MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

He is simply pointing out facts, nothing more, nothing less!
Repeatedly proclaiming something to be a fact does not necessarily make it so.

It is not "the bottom" line that they* are helping puppy farmers get rid of unwanted/used/abused stock - and helping make way for more to follow in their place" just because Azz says so.

Neither is it a fact "that when you take an ex-breeder from a puppy farmer you-are-helping that puppy farmer." just because he says so.

Helping a dog in need is helping a dog in need.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Like I said, both your statement and Azz's can apply at the same time

Sorry, am being devil's advocate here! Like Murf, I have a little face I can look at to remind me of what Many Tears achieve, my mum's dog came direct from their centre in Wales
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 11:44 AM
For those who feel that taking the PF dog is helping the PF is that not the case then for ANY rescue dog?

You are helping the BYB, the member of the public who let their dog have an accidental litter, the working dogs owners, the sports/show other hobby owners. the 'ethical breeder' who move on older stock

Should every single person who is not able to keep their dog for whatever reason no longer have the easy option of someone else takes the animal away, should they all have to take the walk to the vet to get the dog PTS?
It would solve the rescue problem would it??

well except that even the most caring owners would then possibly dump their dogs

I am afraid while the need is there for people to have cheep dogs and there is profit there for PF's there will always be surpluss stock
If these people cared about the dogs then they wouldnt let them get into the states they let them get into
If they had to add a drive into the country with a shotgun into their daily activities they would no problem
We are judging them as animal lovers, or at least people who fear the law
We have all seen images of the states they let their dogs get into - we are judging them too well, they are NOT decent people and they will NOT stop unless the profit is gone
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
For those who feel that taking the PF dog is helping the PF is that not the case then for ANY rescue dog?

You are helping the BYB, the member of the public who let their dog have an accidental litter, the working dogs owners, the sports/show other hobby owners. the 'ethical breeder' who move on older stock
Yes!

Its a double edged sword, its a necessity with a get out clause for those who dump dogs..

That does not mean we should not have them, we need them, more than ever these days, but it makes it so easy for someone to dump and walk away without a conscious.

The only point I disagree with you on is the "ethical" breedee, that don`t dump on rescue , they don`t clog up a system over run with unwanted dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
The ethical breeders sometimes pass their dogs on when they have finished with them---and charge for them IME.

That is no different, if you take their unwanted stock you all them more room to make more pups and more unwanted stock. Smaller way but same thing.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
No point in pointing out anything to you, you read what you want to anyway,, but hey ho, its not unusual for you to do that.

Beleive what you want, I don`t really care
Not just me---and since you are not prepared to be specific it comes under the umbrella of more prevarication.

rune
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 01:09 PM
All dogs deserve a loving home and none more so than the ones who have been used to an inch of their lives simply for the greed of some unscrupulous creatures.

There are some charities etc where I might not agree with a
ALL their policies but then who am I to stand judgement when at least they are doing something and are easing suffering.

To me, they need to carry on doing what they do and the rest of us need to speak up and change the Law that allows this to happen.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes!

Its a double edged sword, its a necessity with a get out clause for those who dump dogs..

That does not mean we should not have them, we need them, more than ever these days, but it makes it so easy for someone to dump and walk away without a conscious.

The only point I disagree with you on is the "ethical" breedee, that don`t dump on rescue , they don`t clog up a system over run with unwanted dogs.
I disagree, I know a few people with dogs like these, they very much consider them rescues, they are the same as any other private regime, my friends sometimes get ex breeder dogs and sometimes go to rescue centers
The end result is the same for the dog, they never knew they were not in their forever home
And if breeders didn't pass on their unwanted stock like this my friends would have gotten a dog from a rescue center, so there is still one more dog in the center than there would have been if the breeder haddnt got rid of their dog
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
No, not helping the puppy farmer - helping the dog in need.

Are you just on a wind up with this? If not, you seem to show a remakable lack of compassion towards those dogs in need.
But still helping the PF out, whether you like it or not.

I doubt very much Azz is just trying to wind you up, if you have been round long enough you would realize that, Azz is as passionate as anyone of us, because he does not follow your line of thinking, does nto make his any less a dog lover .

He is simply pointing out facts, nothing more, nothing less!
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Helping the dog in need and the puppy farmer. They're not mutually exclusive.

Look at it on a smaller scale. Do we not advise members on here to avoid buying from BYBs? There's a huge 5+ page thread from yesterday with the majority of members telling the OP not to buy a puppy because the breeder sounds suspicious. OP argues that someone else will buy the puppy anyway so why not give it a good home by buying it themselves. The OP has a valid point but the advice is to not support BYBs fullstop - regardless of how deserving those individual puppies are of a good home.
Swap BYB for puppy farm, individual for rescue, and support by cash with support by convenience and you have the same situation.
MichaelM - as has been pointed out by JB & Krlyr - they are not mutually exclusive and I am merely pointing out the facts (and some might argue, refusing to bury my head in the sand!).

Rescues taking PF's ex-breeders *are* helping PFs as-well-as helping the dogs. I never denied the dogs weren't being helped or they didn't deserve being helped - I pointed out that the PFs are, without doubt, being helped.

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Again how are they helping out?
See previous posts.

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Azz, were you not recently considering supporting BYBs by offering a venue to sell their puppies, in the hopes that your involvement would eventually be used to educate them and the general public? It seems hypocritical to expect rescues to show their opposition to PFs by disassociation when you were planning the sneaky method of "keeping your friends close but enemies closer" yourself
Yes - but with the net effect being in our favour.

1 - Our message gets put on there - that's not there now
2 - We can use the 'stats' to help with legislation
3 - We can slowly introduce other measures - such as restrictions
4 - We can report suspect postcodes to the RSPCA councils
5 - Even direct customers off-site to 'ethical' breeders (that will be listed on the new breed profile site)
5 - But above all, we exert greater control on the space and have bigger influence. Influence = power to do something.

It's also worth bearing in mind we won't be doing anything to make it 'easier' - we would just want to replace/kill the existing sites that clearly don't give a damn.

In comparison, how are the Rescues using their pf-relationship position?

(Btw, the site is not a definite or even close to something I am going to do (back then I was just thinking about it) - I would still want to think a LOT more about it before being comfortable with doing it. And anyway, after the Breed profile site, I want to do a Rescue one as the next side project )
Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 >