Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kinley804
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2012, 11:23 PM

Ticks

Hello,

I just found a tick on my dog. It was not imbedded it was just walking on her. She has black hair is only 9 months old. She tends to squirm when i try to get her to sit still so i can check her. She is on advantic however I am nervous it is not working. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check a puppy with black hair for ticks? Lyme disease is all over up here and I do not want her to get it (she has had the shot for it but i still worry). THanks!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:16 AM
As far as I know - flea and tick treatments do not stop the ticks getting onto your pet in the first instance. They ensure they won't stay long. I hate the bluddy things with a vengeance. If it was walking on her it had probably only just alighted on her.

If you want to be able to check her regularly you are just going to have to work on training her to allow you to do so.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Billy No Mates seems to be very effective at repelling the little blighters...........just google it.

Jimmi used to be a tick magnet, but has none whatsoever since having this herbal mix, and he adores it too.
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Tick removers are very cheap on a well know auction site as well. Thank you for the Billy no Mates advice, will google it.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 06:01 AM
I swear by scallibor collars... we live in spain, in the pampas and it is full of ticks... hardly ever find one actually attached...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
I swear by scallibor collars... we live in spain, in the pampas and it is full of ticks... hardly ever find one actually attached...
Ticks are a problem in Cyprus and here - whatever flea and tick treatment you use monthly (or even more often) it is also recommended that the ONLY deterrent that is effective against the dreaded ticks is the strong big TICK COLLAR.

Fortunately Bella is velvet coated and shiny and it stands out like a sore thumb if she even has a little hair pointing the wrong way. The only tick I ever found on her was just inside her ear (the crafty blighter). She has to be checked v. carefully when collected from her boardings because the premises are adjacent to farmland where ticks are rife.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:07 PM
My vet has a theory that ticks are less likely to attach to smooth coated breeds as they don't find it so easy to get a grip. What do you think?

My dogs have only had ticks twice in 20 years, they are smooth coated, tick control not administered regularly, live in sheep country.....
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
As far as I know - flea and tick treatments do not stop the ticks getting onto your pet in the first instance. They ensure they won't stay long.
Bayer Animal Health claim that Advantix repels ticks.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 07:28 PM
My boy got one right on the back of his head, and my moms dog got two on her chest. They use flea and tick preventative.. but it doesn't seem to be useful for the ticks.. only the fleas. They say brewers yeast helps repel ticks better, but I have never tried it so I can't really say how it works.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I've also read that Brewer's Yeast repels ticks. Many dogs love it, and it doesn't seem to have negative side effects in most cases, but you might want to check with your vet.

The only way to check her is manually. You'll have to use your fingers and eyes to go over her whole body. New ticks are flat and feel like scabs. Once they've been on for a bit, they're distinct lumps that lift up. It's amazing how quickly they fill up. Make this into an end-of-walk- fun massage and she'll love you for it... and not have ticks. If you do find one with its head embedded, be ever so careful. Rubbing alcohol should make the tick release; another method is to smother it with Vaseline-- they breathe through their skin; this effectively drowns them, but it takes days. If in any doubt at all let your vet do it. Anything near an eye or in an ear... ask your vet to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >