View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 08:51 PM
He has hardly got a waist. Maybe if you wanted a heavy type dog you should have chosen a different breed. He looked MUCH better in pics/videos you posted before he put on weight.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I still prefer Boomer than that skinny whippet type mal in that other picture, it doesn't do the breed justice to see them that skinny imo.

He's well muscled up, he's fit and he's gleaming and yes, maybe he's carrying a bit too much around his neck area where he's turning round it shows it more, but I had the very same thing with my shepherd when she was growing up, even my breeder told me she was "too fat" one summer but with a fit, active dog like Boomer I'm sure he'll work off that little bit of excess in no time, and I'm sure it's because he's not yet fully mature. Is he? How old is Boomer, I don't think he's 2 yet is he?

He's certainly a stunner and I'm very much in love with your Boomerboy, but maybe you should sometimes stop him getting access to that biscuit tin when you're not looking, coz I'm sure he's worked out how to get in there, on the odd occasion lol!
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I still prefer Boomer than that skinny whippet type mal in that other picture, it doesn't do the breed justice to see them that skinny imo.

He's well muscled up, he's fit and he's gleaming and yes, maybe he's carrying a bit too much around his neck area where he's turning round it shows it more, but I had the very same thing with my shepherd when she was growing up, even my breeder told me she was "too fat" one summer but with a fit, active dog like Boomer I'm sure he'll work off that little bit of excess in no time, and I'm sure it's because he's not yet fully mature. Is he? How old is Boomer, I don't think he's 2 yet is he?

He's certainly a stunner and I'm very much in love with your Boomerboy, but maybe you should sometimes stop him getting access to that biscuit tin when you're not looking, coz I'm sure he's worked out how to get in there, on the odd occasion lol!
hahahaha....oh, I know that for sure...Until I actually learned how to Malinois proof this house, it was terrible. He ate a whole Louisana Crunch cake once behind my back. I did not get ONE piece of it...Yes, he might be a little pudgy in places, but the proof still is in the pudding..there is not a dog around that can clear a higher fence than he can...hahahaha,...oh yea, they try like heck every weekend, but the "big fat guy" shows them how to do it every time....

He is about 2 1/2 years old now. And you also have to remember his previous history. Found roaming the oil fields, at the time was 40lbs, just looked so terrible. So, he is probably in heaven now that he can eat. Little more exercise and he will be ok. He needs to run off that food every day, it is 30% protien. Now I suppose there will be someone to tell me to feed him something different....hahahaha...Like maybe Science Diet, or Eukanuba, or Wellbeloved or Purina...hahaha...forget that..they can have all those grains and fillers....Boomer loves his roasted vinison and roasted bison, blueberrys, dried chicory root, lamb.........

Anyway, thanks for your comments. We will try to keep him in the best of shape. After owning so many GSD's, Dobermans, and Mals, I will get it right I am sure...
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 09:34 PM
It has to be said that working-line Malinois do vary widely - as they are bred for function not for form. Some are small, stocky - while others are tall and rangy. The ears on many working Malis are huge - really not to my taste at all, and they are very often very dark (what I affectionately think of as Burnt Toast Malinois)!

The only ones with any kind of uniformity of shape are the show-type ones .....which I have heard working Mali breeders describe as ugly!

Rue is a case in point - nothing is known about her background. To the show-mali breeders she looks too short and stocky and long. To working breeders her ears are wrong and her colour is too light! This is Rue when she first came out of the shelter:

Six weeks later she's a great deal fitter on a raw diet, she has lost weight, moulted out to a better coat, and if anything is now a bit too ribby - which is easily adjustable. I don't have a pic that shows her new physique but this was taken on Tuesday:

She's still broader in chest, shorter in leg and heavier in bone than most Malis.

By the way Rick - your possible new puppy has made me melt all over the keyboard!!!!!! Tel us more pleeeeeease
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by MississippiRick View Post
Ok, here is the skinny runt that you posted.....

And here is my dog......no question in my mind, you can have the skinny one..If I wanted a Whippet to back me up I would have gotten one.....hahahaha

Look, all Im saying is for me your dog is overweight, he has NO waistline, no tuck up, no shape at all. Thats me though. If you are happy with him then thats all that matters.
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
It has to be said that working-line Malinois do vary widely - as they are bred for function not for form. Some are small, stocky - while others are tall and rangy. The ears on many working Malis are huge - really not to my taste at all, and they are very often very dark (what I affectionately think of as Burnt Toast Malinois)!

The only ones with any kind of uniformity of shape are the show-type ones .....which I have heard working Mali breeders describe as ugly!

Rue is a case in point - nothing is known about her background. To the show-mali breeders she looks too short and stocky and long. To working breeders her ears are wrong and her colour is too light! This is Rue when she first came out of the shelter:

Six weeks later she's a great deal fitter on a raw diet, she has lost weight, moulted out to a better coat, and if anything is now a bit too ribby - which is easily adjustable. I don't have a pic that shows her new physique but this was taken on Tuesday:

She's still broader in chest, shorter in leg and heavier in bone than most Malis.

By the way Rick - your possible new puppy has made me melt all over the keyboard!!!!!! Tel us more pleeeeeease
Will update you on the puppy little later...some issues I want to make sure are worked out with Boomer before bringing another dog into the house..
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Just found another pic of Rue taken by my sister this morning:

If you saw her in the flesh you'd see she's actually fairly ribby, you can see the last three ribs and more; she just has a broad rib cage and wide chest - I can easily see how an extra pound or two on a dog of her physique would make her look too fat.
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Look, all Im saying is for me your dog is overweight, he has NO waistline, no tuck up, no shape at all. Thats me though. If you are happy with him then thats all that matters.
Thank you, I am happy, he is happy, and the bad guys are unhappy.........hahahaha......

MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2011, 09:59 PM

If you saw her in the flesh you'd see she's actually fairly ribby, you can see the last three ribs and more; she just has a broad rib cage and wide chest - I can easily see how an extra pound or two on a dog of her physique would make her look too fat.
What is her girth. Up, down, and under that rib cage?..I understand where Boomer has his extra, behind that chest. But his girth is 37"...thats a big chest to start with...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Looks really well there.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >