Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Burns Alert

I've switched Maggie over onto this to see if it might help her anal glands out a bit. I was going to put her on the regular Burns but saw this on offer for about £28 for a 15kg bag which I thought was great! The ingredients seem pretty much the same except for some added vitamins and green tea (or something like that) and the analysis is the same so I though I'd give it a go.

Does anyone else use this instead of the regular Burns and what do you make of it?

I got it cheap from here if anyone is interested (not sure how long it will be on offer for) http://www.valupets.com/pets/burns-p...5kg/25048.html
and it arrived today so very good service.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I've been using it for a while now and can't see any difference between alert and the ordinary Burns. The dogs certainly seem to enjoy it and its still dear enough.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I tried this with mine... they are on regular burns and loved the chicken and rice. I figured as Takara is an assistance dog and Eddy is going senile it might be good for both of them...

They wouldn't touch it! Supposedly the same ingredients and they wouldn't touch the stuff! Now explain that one...
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:13 PM
That is strange Lottie. My friends says it's crumblier compared to the normal one but I haven't found this yet.

Maggie loves it (but she loves most stuff except Nature Diet which I can't figure out why).
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Its lamb and rice alert I've been using with no problems.
I had a look at the link but its the chicken and rice that is much cheaper. I wonder if they'd like it
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Hadn't thought of that. The bag I'm finishing off is the lamb one and the bag I ordered is the chicken one. However they were selling the lamb one at our rescue centre for the much cheaper price but they ran out before I could buy any so had to make do with chicken, so I don't think either one is more or less expensive than the other.

Shall see if Maggie likes it, I hope so as it's a bloomin' big sack!
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2009, 12:26 PM
The Alert is cheaper because it exploits the VAT free thing about working dog food - not stricktly ethical but then everyone else is doing it. Other natural foods like Autarky, which is around £20/15kg use the same loophole.
If you want a good cheap natural food that is VAT free and isn't too high in protein and fat, then you could try Whites Premium Active, which you can get for £19.99/15kg at the moment from Pet Pantry online.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the link nellie_dean, it's a food I remember looking at before.
So far the Burns seems to be going really well so will stick to that I think. There are so manyfoods out there it gets very muddley!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 05:24 PM
My Westie is thriving on Burns chicken and rice, has been for a long time now and I'm really pleased with it.

We won a bag of the Burns Alert chicken and rice at a dog show a while ago and decided that once the bag I was using had finished, I'd feed Molly the Alert. She eats is as she does the other kind, without any problems at all.

I'm really happy with it for her, and when I have to buy more, I'll buy the Alert version if it's still cheaper than the normal kind.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I was a strong Burns supporter for many years, then suddenly my dogs went off it, don't know if they changed the ingredients or what, but when 10 dogs go off it at the same time then something must be up with the food.

I now feed pups and adults Royal Canin, medium......they have introduced breed specific foods, my dogs love the normal RC but again won't touch the Cocker RC......strange!!