Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 12:53 AM

would you clone your dog?

just reading this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

and £75,000 to clone her dog (look at the chain round the poor things neck!) i mean i know you get attached and you want your dog forever, but £75,000?

if it was me and i had that type of money i would rather give some to a rescue and try and think of my dogs best memorys. i mean its not the Same dog is it? or is it? would it have the same brain!?

its all confusing, but i wouldnt want to do it.

your views?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2008, 12:55 AM
No, I wouldn't. As much as you want them back, it's unnatural and quite strange if you ask me. A dog leaves a lasting imprint on your life, and to be able to duplicate it so easily reduces that sentiment, for me anyway. One of the things that I love about dogs is that every single one is different, they're all individual, and they will all change your life in different ways.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Tbh Mb I wouldnt ,I lost my dog two years ago at the end of Feb ,I would have prefered he didnt go to the bridge ,But I would never have him cloned if I had that kind of money ,I would rather have my memories of the dog he was , Not of some medical experiment I paid a fortune for so I could feel the ease of his lose if that makes sense , I would prefer to give that kind of money to charity and feel rich in my memories jmo .,
And what is the deal with the two stoine lump of chain around the poor dogs neck im suprised the poor dog is still upright xxdk
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:32 AM
A clone is only an aesthetic clone. The personality, character etc comes not only from genes but also upbringing, so that dog might never be the same as the dead dog, it only 'looks' like the dead dog.

Perfect example..........Identical Twins. Genetical Identical Twins are a genetic clone of eachother, coming from a single egg, which is split, but their personalities are usually entirely different, much more so than normal siblings

So why would anything think that dogs would be different ?

I think it's just asking for trouble IMO !
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:36 AM
its quite interesting, a racehorse (barrel racing or something i think) in America was cloned as he was a rescue horse and was a gelding.. he was just stupendously good and they were gutted that they couldn't use him as a stud so cloned him!
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Id rather stuff him put him on the settee and go on hols,wouldnt have to worry about boarding him and he wouldnt run away xxxx
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:45 AM
i saw something on that ages ago too.. this lady was so sad that her poodle died she had him stuffed and got him out in the day and put him to bed in a cupboard at night! i think she was slightly (!) in denial...
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
A clone is only an aesthetic clone. The personality, character etc comes not only from genes but also upbringing, so that dog might never be the same as the dead dog, it only 'looks' like the dead dog.

Perfect example..........Identical Twins. Genetical Identical Twins are a genetic clone of eachother, coming from a single egg, which is split, but their personalities are usually entirely different, much more so than normal siblings

So why would anything think that dogs would be different ?

I think it's just asking for trouble IMO !
if that true & they would have diff personailtys..........why not jsut buy a dog of the same breed and colour?! surely thats the same thing itll also have diff persoantiyl!?!?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
i saw something on that ages ago too.. this lady was so sad that her poodle died she had him stuffed and got him out in the day and put him to bed in a cupboard at night! i think she was slightly (!) in denial...
I believe this was the toy poodle BIS Crufts winner, and she still takes the stuffed dog with her sometimes
As to whether I would clone, absolutely not, each of our pets is unique and should be treated as such. If you want a similar dog then breed your own line, you will get similar traits etc to your original dogs.
Besides, where markings are concerned cloning doesn't copy them. I saw a cloned cat and it's face markings were completely different to the original!
Becky
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 09:16 AM
No no no!! I would never clone any of my animals, not the dogs, buns or piggies... I would however have one of those diamonds made.... If I had the money!!
I adore Jamie and Deacon, but when they are gone, thats it.... I would grieve and move on... maybe have another setter from their gene pool, but not a re-incarnation!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >