Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Clone Or Not Clone

Hi on Tuesday 25th a programme on Animal Planet about people suffering intense grief at losing there pet and taking the decision to clone rather than cope with the grief itself,although I have asked myself if I had money would I be tempted,not sure of the answer maybe at first but not now,I believe that everyone has doled out to them a specific amount of time including animals,and they say if your number is up its up.When the house fire happened in my life,by all accounts Red and myself should have been dead,the oxygen left in that house during the fire,meant that the fire brigrade had to have breathing apparatus,but I opened the front door just enough to let Red out,So it wasnt my time or his.
I enclose a link
http://blogs.discovery.com/daily_tre...clone-dog.html Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Be interesting to watch,personally think its ridiculous though.Wouldn't be tempted even if I won the lotto!!think when you lose a dog it's devasting and in the beginning you probably would do anything to have them back but in time it does get easier.Fools with their money I think
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I can sort of understand people thinking they want to do this especially in the beginning but time does make things easier and if you are fortunate to have another dog in your life would you really want it exactly the same ?

For me personally even if money was no object I wouldn't do it.
Each dog that has come to me has had its own personality and quirky ways and for me that is what has helped me be able to get through the grief of a dog that's passed on.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I was devastated last year when my lovely Shar-Pei girl M'boi died suddenly. It took me months to get over the grief.

Three years ago when I lost my beloved younger son also unexpectedly my best friend, who'd lost her mother a few months earlier advised me not to mourn his death but to celebrate his life which is what I now do and I have this picture of my son with my dog by his side both happy and free from pain and suffering.

No way would I ever consider cloning either of them even if I could!

Of course, my son I can never replace but with a dog it's possible and I'll be getting a new Shar-Pei puppy as my Chritmas/birthday present to myself later this year. I don't expect her to be anything like M'boi ... she'll be herself with her own personality and little quirks and to make absolutey sure I make no comparison this time I've chosen to have a completely different colour ... either black or blue (M'boi was tan).
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I was devastated last year when my lovely Shar-Pei girl M'boi died suddenly. It took me months to get over the grief.

Three years ago when I lost my beloved younger son also unexpectedly my best friend, who'd lost her mother a few months earlier advised me not to mourn his death but to celebrate his life which is what I now do and I have this picture of my son with my dog by his side both happy and free from pain and suffering.

Of course, my son I can never replace but with a dog it's possible and I'll be getting a new Shar-Pei puppy as my Chritmas/birthday present to myself later this year. I don't expect her to be anything like M'boi ... she'll be herself with her own personality and little quirks and to make absolutey sure I make no comparison this time I've chosen to have a completely different colour ... either black or blue (M'boi was tan).
I'm thinking you'll still make little comparisons, its all part of it If we think of them often then their never really gone, live on forever in our hearts, just like people.Sure you're really excited,roll on Christmas!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 09:37 AM

So sorry to hear you lost your son. The hardest and most unnatural of bereavements when parents outlive their children. I really love your attitude to life. I hope your new dog brings you a lot of joy.

I went for a TOTALLY different dog too. Still a small breed but from a Cavalier to a Mini Pinscher. I will never forget my gentle old Cavvy but I love this little tyrant too.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2013, 10:17 AM

I am so sorry you have lost your son and best friend, they are always with us even if we can't see them. That is a lovely picture you have of your son and his dog.

Cloning dogs keeps coming up but when a sheep was cloned she looked like her mother, was similar to her mother but as her life experiences were different there were differences between them. The biggest problem was the cloned sheep didn't live as long and had health problems mum didn't.

I still miss all mine at the Bridge, would love to have everyone back with me but wouldn't clone them, they won't be the same dogs.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Never never ever!
even if I would get a voucher of it for birthday or whatever
I would just tear it and throw it in the fire and I wouldn't care about the "value" of it

to me that's totally abnormal

how far will humans still go before they recognize their borders?
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:55 AM
My gut reaction is no no no no NO.

But then given the opportunity to have a dog exactly like my older girl, I admit I'd be very tempted if I had the money to spare.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Eileen .... I'm sure you're right that even with the best will in the world I'll still sometimes make comparisons between the two dogs. I know I've done it with Chloe and M'boi ... like ... moaning at poor Chloe about why can't she be well behaved like her big sister! (I wouldn't change my tiny Tibbie gremlin for the world though )!

Tangutica ... In the past I've always replaced my dogs with a completely different breed so this time getting another Shar-Pei will be a departure from the norm. One of the reasons I'm doing so is because they're SO easy to train, not too energetic, not too large and fit into my present lifestyle extremely well.

Roll on Christmas!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >