View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Anything crossed with an oodle doesn't shed, don't ya know Riiiight!

We call Pepsi, Pesipoodle just to keep in the fashion!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:16 AM
The reason is the myth that 'dogs crossed with Poodles don't shed'

It's nonsense, of course. I've met countless bemused "labradoodle" owners who thought their dogs would never shed, and of course the dogs do.

I agree with what most people here have said; some folk want a 'label' that seems 'different' and they seem to feel that adding 'oodle' or 'poo' gives them that

It wouldn't be so awful IF the 'breeders' did the relevant health tests on the parent dogs. But few do.

As for the fact that there is now apparently a 'labradoodle' rescue - that is AWFUL. So many lovely dogs already in rescues across the land

The other issue is that these new designer types are not standardised, so for instance at my local park, there are LOTS of unhappy owners walking around with these HUGE "labradoodles'!
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:28 AM
all the golden retreiver - poodle crosses i've met have been huge and a total handful. i do feel sorry for the owners who are not expecting their wee pup to grow into a powerful giant.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I must confess I very wrongly like the american cocker/min poodle x's and the golden retriever/standard pood x's
If there was a breed who health tested and ethically bred with some thought for more than money I think I could even be persuaded to have an american cocker/min poodle x in the future; dog is a dog and worth it's weight in gold for it's own merits, an endless pedigree and KC papers doesn't always equate to the supreme and best dog ever imagineable unfortunately.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
all the golden retreiver - poodle crosses i've met have been huge and a total handful. i do feel sorry for the owners who are not expecting their wee pup to grow into a powerful giant.

LOL - there is a female one of these that Dex plays with sometimes. She is hilarious! Huge dog and a real personality
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Because they are rare, unique, do not shed, are more healthy, are hypoallergenic and are more calm and easy to train than the two pure breeds individually.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
for it's own merits, an endless pedigree and KC papers doesn't always equate to the supreme and best dog ever imagineable unfortunately.
they def don't but can help guide towards a steady temprement and well balanced dog, rather than a complete gamble. Maddie is paperless btw

there are so many dogs in already in rescue, i do have issue with folk breeding these "designer" pups purely to make a quick buck.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Because they are rare, unique, do not shed, are more healthy, are hypoallergenic and are more calm and easy to train than the two pure breeds individually.
not the ones ive met!

particular golden ret x one im thinking of has had skin issues from a pup, sheds just like a dog does, is wired to the moon, the ears are off permantly (he was a model pupil at training), high prey drive, i could go on but he is a lovely dog, very friendly, just mental.

the other labrador poodle x at training was exactly the same, towered over maddie. maybe i just meet the hyper ones!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
not the ones ive met!

particular golden ret x one im thinking of has had skin issues from a pup, sheds just like a dog does, is wired to the moon, the ears are off permantly (he was a model pupil at training), high prey drive, i could go on but he is a lovely dog, very friendly, just mental.

the other labrador poodle x at training was exactly the same, towered over maddie. maybe i just meet the hyper ones!
I was being sarcastic.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I have to say I don't get the hypoallergenic non shedding angle. There are plenty of breeds already that don't shed and a cross is a gamble. If you want a non shedding dog what's wrong with just a poodle?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >