View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Why do you not subscribe to the Telephone Preference Service? Then you do not get any, or very very few.

Same as the MPS, I do not get unsolicited mail or phone calls.

And it is FREE
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I have to admit that the ones who phone constantly eg enpower or whatever they are called and don't take no for an answer I swear at them. Tell them to stop f'ing phoning me, I f'ing told them yesterday and the day before and the day before that I don't want their f'stuff and that I am abusive They then flag it as an abusive call and stop phoning.

It's ridiculous that I have to do that though and a shame for the person who has phoned but what is it with companies when you tell them no one day, why do they insist on phoning you two days later and then 2 days later again.

I had one company the large windows one, can't remember the name who phoned me every day. After about the 5th day I swore at them but they continued to phone every night. I went to their website and emailed the sales department, told them about the calls and if they continued I would take them to court for harassment. The calls then stopped.

Nowadays I only answer the phone when I recognise the number. If no number shows, then tough luck they won't get me.

As soon as you get a new number I believe BT sell it as usually 2 days later you have people phoning. Also even if it ex directory it goes on the internet for people to find as apparently it's only ex directory for the phone book.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Becoming ex directory will not stop the computer generated calls,

The TPS and the BT TPS both of which are free will, and of course you can, as previously enable your phone to only receive calls from KNOWN numbers.

I have two friends both of whom have "withheld" numbers due to their jobs and they have to phone me from their mobiles not their landlines.

In addition you can have call screening so you can see the number of the caller.

All my calls are answered by my answerphone, those who know me just wait until I pick it up, that way I maintain the phone v owner balance, ie the phone is MY slave, it is not MY master!

This reduces frustration and of course the need to be abusive.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I'd do that like a shot but people ring for Tassle's business and often won't talk to the answerphone. It does tend to be the older folk who are wary of talking but it does happen.

I know because if I don't get there in time I will 1471 the local numbers.

Balancing them are the people who talk for 10 mins very fast and totally undecipherably!

rune
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I am registered with the TPS,have anonymous call block so with held numbers can't call,they are told to ring back without with holding there number,but these calls still manage to get through

My phone does show the number of whoever is calling,when no number shows I usually ignore the call,however they were pretty persistant on Tuesday and the damn thing kept ringing every 30 mins
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Why do you not subscribe to the Telephone Preference Service? Then you do not get any, or very very few.

And it is FREE
Trouble with that is they only regulate calls from within the UK, it does not stop all the international ones you get.

I simply put the phone down and don't even given them time to speak.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2011, 09:33 AM
I say "ta'ut" which means mistake/wrong number, and close the phone. If they phone back I say, in English, sorry old fruit but I do not understand a word you are saying".

Usually works...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Trouble with that is they only regulate calls from within the UK, it does not stop all the international ones you get.

I simply put the phone down and don't even given them time to speak.
They do still try their luck though and cold call anyway. So when this happens I scream "HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER, I'M ON TPS" before they get a chance to say anything! While they are bumbling trying to think of an excuse I put the phone down.

Another tip, if there is a long delay between you answering and them speaking it is, 99 times out of 100 a cold call, so again I put the phone down.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 10:30 AM
The TPS will stop the vast majority of those cold calls. It's no good asking them not to call you again - it probably won't be the same person next time. They are only doing what they are paid to do (I am glad I don't have such a soul destroying job!)

In the UK this September and holding the fort for my son while they made the trip to hosp 5 times a week to take the 4yr old for chemo, I got called at least twice a day to be asked 'have you had an accident in the last 5 yrs? You could be due compensation blah blah blah!' When I mentioned to my son he could enlist with TPS he said no they quite enjoy getting them and always have a good laugh. The next time they called he took it and then shouted at the TOP OF HIS VOICE (but right into the mouthpiece) 'Em!! Have you had an accident or fall .... and carried on, repeating exactly what they'd said to him, but at full volume!' Then he looked at the handset and said 'oh, they appear to have gone!'
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 11:52 AM
If you say that whoever they are asking for is dead, they cross you off the list.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >