View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Since having the kids and Bruno just getting on a bit he has changed from good ling walks every day to one short walk during the day - park and block walking and then a burst in the park very late at night with my hubby and then at weekends we rake a long offload walk up the fields so Bruno gets his run about. Both days.

He seems happy with this and is hugely adaptable, As if hubby off or when we are all holiday then Bruno gets loads of walks. Also if it's wet weather your lucky to drag him into the garden for a pee.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:34 PM
We try to do around an hour of ball throwing on the field and another hour of walking/ball throwing around woods and fields, but both of ours are quite young still so are still limiting exercise to some extent.

I can envisage that by the time the exercise isnt so limited by age we may on some weekends do some longer walks and depending on the time of day just do a shorter trip outback to the park at the other end of the day.;

I do think unless a long morning walk would wear ours out that they would need a little run at least of an evening, but time will tell.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:57 PM
On the days I'm working Craven gets 1 hour before walk and 1 hour after work,either along the river or down to the park for him to have a play with other dogs.

On my days off he usually gets either 1 long walk of 2-3 hours or 2 walks of over 1 hour each,we go somewhere different each of my days off in the car,there are about 10 good walks within 5 miles of here,either river,forest or hills.
plantman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2011, 03:03 PM
We are very lucky to have a big garden and also live adjacent to the forest. We take our dogs to have one long walk a day through the woods, but they have the freedom to run and roam in the garden throughout the rest of the day. It works well for all of us.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I think it varies considerably as regards to age, breed, health and stress levels. While a young, fit dog of an active breed may need more than one walk a day, it may suit other dogs just fine.

Max varies considerably with day and season. In very hot weather we never do a long walk, he will have a short walk early and late. On a weekend, say in the winter, he may go out for just one long walk that day.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:57 PM
It varies from day to day.

Today for instance, we enjoyed a 90 minute walk. Dex is a medium energy dog so while we may pop out again this evening for another 20 minutes, if we don't he'll be fine.

During the week we either walk for 60 - 90 minutes OR we go to the park for 2 hours or more, so that he can have a run and hopefully a frolic with some of his canine chums.

I think one walk daily is fine so long as it's long enough and the dog doesn't seem to be going crazy later in the day with the desire to go out again
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Having an oldie and a youngster, I have to do a shorter walk than I would really like to do first thing in the mornings, so that one would be 40 mins tops. Then I take the youngster out on her own at mid-day coz that suits me, and it's her routine, so she sleeps all afternoon, so I make that one about an hour, normally using my bike.

If she's lucky and if the weather's not too hot, wet or cold, then she gets another walk in the evenings, just a short one across the gallops which is 30 mins.

I'm not a great believer in loooooong walks, never have been because of the breed I have (I worry about tiring out joints) but somebody's gonna jump on me here, but they're my dogs and I can do what I like Unless, we're away with them or I'm down the beach, then of course, it's going to be 2 hours but that's tops for me and my dogs!

Not forgetting, the rest of the day, I have a big garden which they are out in all the time.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Mine get one long 2hour walk a day, it suits me and them. I don't like walking the streets and the local park is far too busy with little kids and dogs with no recall so we walk in the woods where we can do as we please and build quite a lot of variety into the walks.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Mine get walked once a day, purely because i'm at work. Sometimes they get walked twice (like today) and that tends to be down to when they have a training session. Sometimes if i've only took them a shorter walk which is local then i'll take them out later too.

However, generally I travel out of my local area and we spend perhaps 3 hours walking. Sometimes I travel an hour to get somewhere so thats 5 hours in total and in those instances, the dogs only get one walk. I've read that dogs can cover 3 times the distance humans do on a typical walk so if I walk 10 miles then thats 30 miles for the dogs (and my dogs cover alot of ground so they could do more). I figure thats enough exercise for one day and they are usually happy to settle on their beds all evening.

I do try and break their time up when they are home by playing games or doing tricks or something.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Generally speaking, twice a day. Bo is the type of dog that gets restless if she doesn't get out twice a day, so that is what we do.

If I only had my other two dogs, I'd walk them once a day because they are undemanding.

I say do whatever suits the dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >