Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Sleep problems

Ever since Christmas my sleep pattern has been all over the place and as a result now i find it really hard to switch off at night and I don't get a decent nights sleep and Its starting to do my head in.

My first problem is the OH's heavy breathing/whistling that keeps me awake. I'm only just getting used to him being home every night again after a year of him just being home weekends and it's made me realise how much I like to have silence when I'm trying to sleep instead of feeling like I'm sharing a bed with Darth Vader. This only gets worse as the year goes on and his hayfever starts but he won't do anything about it and the only solution at the moment is making him sleep on his side facing away from me and sleeping the opposite way.

Probably my second problem is that I just can't seem to shut off. Last night I lay awake until about 1am and that's been pretty much how's it been for the last few weeks. The only time ive slept better is at the weekend when I've had a few drinks!

I only drink de-caff tea and only about 3-5 cups a day and I don't really eat sugary foods that might keep me awake.

Even when I do get to sleep I often wake up several times in the night so never get a decent nights sleep and it's now starting to leave me feeling really tired and really annoyed.

I've also tired sleep tablets from tesco and they didn't seem to make a scrap of difference.

Anyone got any suggestions to help me sleep better please before I go insane!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Separate rooms? I lnow it sounds a bit drastic, but I believe it`s not uncommon.
If noises are keeping me awake I put the radio on. For some reason noise that you make less irritating than noise you have no control over.
It sounds like you`re stressed tbh. Of course, it could be the snoring stressing you?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:07 AM
If things keep going around in your head, would having a notebook by the bed, to write your thoughts down in to deal with in the morning help? Sometimes it can just be a physiological thing - I know when I went through a spate of not being able to sleep (had not long moved out of family home so lots of worries, e.g. would I cope financially, being homesick, etc.), I mentally jotted things down, picturing a notebook and imagining myself shutting it, and shutting those thoughts way until the next day - sounds silly but it really did work!
Do you think earplugs could work with your OH's breathing? Or maybe playing music at a low level so you adjust to a mild level of noise?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Join the club. I was wide awake from 5 am! If i went to bed before 1am i wouldnt sleep at all! Have you tried staying up later? Take a week or so before it kicked in.

Relaxation techniques help all supposing you can relax enough to do them
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Separate rooms? I lnow it sounds a bit drastic, but I believe it`s not uncommon.
If noises are keeping me awake I put the radio on. For some reason noise that you make less irritating than noise you have no control over.
It sounds like you`re stressed tbh. Of course, it could be the snoring stressing you?
We dont have a spare room at the moment as we've got my parents staying but would probably use it even if just a couple of nights a week.

The radio isn't a bad idea but I don't think the OH will agree to it but then it's not him that can't sleep!!

I guess it might be down to stress, work has not been great recently so maybe I should try to improve some situations and see if that helps.

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
If things keep going around in your head, would having a notebook by the bed, to write your thoughts down in to deal with in the morning help? Sometimes it can just be a physiological thing - I know when I went through a spate of not being able to sleep (had not long moved out of family home so lots of worries, e.g. would I cope financially, being homesick, etc.), I mentally jotted things down, picturing a notebook and imagining myself shutting it, and shutting those thoughts way until the next day - sounds silly but it really did work!
Do you think earplugs could work with your OH's breathing? Or maybe playing music at a low level so you adjust to a
mild level of noise?
The notebook might help but then I don't really think of anything of importance! I just tend to think stupid things rather than stuff that needs to be done or organised!

I thought about earplugs but I wasn't sure if it was safe to sleep with them in?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Join the club. I was wide awake from 5 am! If i went to bed before 1am i wouldnt sleep at all! Have you tried staying up later? Take a week or so before it kicked in.

Relaxation techniques help all supposing you can relax enough to do them
I normally go to bed at sometime between 10 and 11pm. I usually go whenever the OH goes as he has to get up at around 5 or 6am so I don't like to disturb him.

I usually just read stuff on my iPhone in the hope that it will make me tired enough to sleep but never does so I literally just lie there with my eyes shut until I eventually nod off.!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I've slept with ear plugs in & it really did help with my husband's snoring/heavy breathing. You may need to try different types to find which is most comfortable.

I found that if I could get to sleep before my husband came to bed, then once I was asleep (& he was under strict instructions not to disturb me!), then I tended to sleep through any snoring. Also I get up at 5.00 a.m., so I'm pretty zonked by 10.00 pm & have no problem getting to sleep really quickly. I read for about 10 mins, drop my book on the dog's head, & am asleep in seconds!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Ohh, I can really sympathise with you.
Due to stress I dont sleep much. If I can actually get to sleep after 3 or 4 hours laying there, I then wake up a few times during the night - so wake up knackered!

I also can't switch my mind off, and it's sooo frustrating, cos it's not that I don't want to sleep!

Unfortunately I had to take drastic action, as I need my sleep for my health, so i'm on Temazepam! I was on Zopiclone, but even the highest dose did nothing, so the docs put me on something stronger!
It's a controlled drug, so I can't get it on repeat prescription, but the doctors do let me have it as and when I need it - but only because of my health circumstances!!

I hope you manage to find a solution soon xx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I think ear plugs are safe to sleep in -

But I like audio books, (although it has to be something I know.) - It just kind of lulls you - but you need a speaker with a nice voice.

I have been known to do breathing exercises and counting as well (Backwards from 300!)

Silly as it sounds the more wound up you get about it the worse it will be (nasty vicious cycle), easier said than done as well I know.

Maybe try starting to shut off about an hour before you go to bed, possibly a bit of meditation, quiet room on your own, just try and shut yourself off from the world for a bit.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I use ear plugs in the Summer when on nightshifts, well one ear plug!

If you're concerned about sleeping through your alarm, put your phone under your pillow with the alarm set on vibrate. This is what I have to do now as normal alarms aren't reliable!

I watched a programme some months ago about insomniacs and how some scientist helped them get back into a proper sleeping pattern. It was really good, I'll see if I can find it online……
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >