Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Dog hates being left alone

Flint hates being left alone in the house.
He is absolutly fine if he is left with Simba, not a problem.

Recently Flint has been teaching Simba some bad habits [barking and lunging when out for a walk] so I have been taking them seperatly during the day, then OH takes them both in the evening.

I always take Flint first and try and get him really knackered and then go out strait away with Simba, so in theory, Flint should be tired from his excersize and not too wound up.
I leave him with treats and a kong with paste in, but everytime I leave he barks, I ignore him.
When I come back [30mins ish] I can hear him howling from 2 doors away, and today I got home and he was sat on the table [that looks out of the front window] he has NEVER done this before!!!

I get in and ignore his excitable behaviour, but he hasnt touched his toys or treats, hes obviosly just been stressing the whole time.

Iv tried numerous things-
Leaving with Simba and just coming back after 5 mins.
Leaving music on.
Leaving toys and treats scattered about.
Closing the curtains.

Nothing seems to work.
Is this seperation anxiety? Seeing that he doesnt do it when hes with Simba, we can leave them for 4 or 5 hours and they are fine!

Will this behaviour get better if I continue to take Simba out and always return, will he realise that Im not abandoning him?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Flint hates being left alone in the house.
He is absolutly fine if he is left with Simba, not a problem.

Recently Flint has been teaching Simba some bad habits [barking and lunging when out for a walk] so I have been taking them seperatly during the day, then OH takes them both in the evening.

I always take Flint first and try and get him really knackered and then go out strait away with Simba, so in theory, Flint should be tired from his excersize and not too wound up.
I leave him with treats and a kong with paste in, but everytime I leave he barks, I ignore him.
When I come back [30mins ish] I can hear him howling from 2 doors away, and today I got home and he was sat on the table [that looks out of the front window] he has NEVER done this before!!!

I get in and ignore his excitable behaviour, but he hasnt touched his toys or treats, hes obviosly just been stressing the whole time.

Iv tried numerous things-
Leaving with Simba and just coming back after 5 mins.
Leaving music on.
Leaving toys and treats scattered about.
Closing the curtains.

Nothing seems to work.
Is this seperation anxiety? Seeing that he doesnt do it when hes with Simba, we can leave them for 4 or 5 hours and they are fine!

Will this behaviour get better if I continue to take Simba out and always return, will he realise that Im not abandoning him?
With the lunging behaviour everytime they lunge at another dog turn in the opposite direction then go towards again and repeat until they walk calmly past the dog, we have had to do this with both Louie and Benjie - cos Benjie taught Louie bad behaviour despite me instructing the OH to walk them seperate - MEN!!

It sounds like separation anxiety and a tad of Jealousy - have you set up a camera and recorded what happens when you leave Flint alone?

Sadie has bad SA when it comes to me (not being my dog - it's weird) even when she has Louie for company she will wait and whine by the door and if she knows I'm not far away she will bark.

If he barks and whines when you leave him do the leaving for 5 minutes but only walk in the door when you dont hear any noise - that way he doesnt associate noise with you coming back

Or consult a professional
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Could it be that Flint thinks he is Simba's protector or something and that's why he is getting stressed like he does when Simba leaves without him. Also why he has started barking and lunging on walks together? Maybe he sees himself(in a dog way?) as having to protect you both. Not explained very well, sorry, hope some one can give better idea or advice(I could be wrong but was just a thought and don't know how to sort if is anything like that). Would maybe try get professional advice if getting too much.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
It sounds like separation anxiety and a tad of Jealousy - have you set up a camera and recorded what happens when you leave Flint alone?
Howling and climbing on furniture just screams of seperation anxiety and I imagine the dog is in no mental state to comprehend jealousy. It's quite often for dogs with seperation anxiety to be "cured" by a second dog for company so I imagine it can work the other way around, one dog from a pair could develop seperation anxiety when left on their own.
I would imagine you need to work on it in the same way as regular seperation anxiety - going through the stages, e.g. getting Simba ready for a walk without leaving, settling back down, moving slowly to opening the door then settling back down, popping out the door and straight back in, etc - slow stages making sure Flint doesn't progress to "panic" behaviour. This may be confusing for Simba so I'd perhaps see if you could maybe walk them before this exercise so they've both had some time out, and then practise this exercise after the walk. Perhaps treat it like a bit of training for Simba so he's not totally confused at being clipped on lead - get him practising his sit-stays while you open the door or something like that.
You could maybe look into a DAP collar/spray for Flint too, this may take the edge of the anxiety and help things? Perhaps a vet trip too to rule out a health issue causing the behaviour, e.g. the sudden lunging and now this.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:58 PM
My previous GSP would panic if left alone. he was fine with one of the other dogs there - it was being totally alone that he couldn`t bear.
So he was never left alone.
Sorry - that`s probably not helpful. But it`s just to say your dog isn`t odd. Dogs are Social animals but they can get used to being on their own or trained to accept it. It does take time though.
I`d take your time more with the training.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
With the lunging behaviour everytime they lunge at another dog turn in the opposite direction then go towards again and repeat until they walk calmly past the dog, we have had to do this with both Louie and Benjie - cos Benjie taught Louie bad behaviour despite me instructing the OH to walk them seperate - MEN!!

Sadie has bad SA when it comes to me (not being my dog - it's weird) even when she has Louie for company she will wait and whine by the door and if she knows I'm not far away she will bark.

If he barks and whines when you leave him do the leaving for 5 minutes but only walk in the door when you dont hear any noise - that way he doesnt associate noise with you coming back

Or consult a professional
Thanks, ill keep trying to work with him
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Could it be that Flint thinks he is Simba's protector or something and that's why he is getting stressed like he does when Simba leaves without him. Also why he has started barking and lunging on walks together? Maybe he sees himself(in a dog way?) as having to protect you both. Not explained very well, sorry, hope some one can give better idea or advice(I could be wrong but was just a thought and don't know how to sort if is anything like that). Would maybe try get professional advice if getting too much.
Interesting thought. However Simba is the boss, moreso than Flint so maybe that wouldnt fit in with the protecting role?
Also, Flint hasnt just started barking and lunging on walks, hes always done it, the trouble is Simba is starting to copy, which makes the situation esculate
Thanks for your help
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Howling and climbing on furniture just screams of seperation anxiety and I imagine the dog is in no mental state to comprehend jealousy. It's quite often for dogs with seperation anxiety to be "cured" by a second dog for company so I imagine it can work the other way around, one dog from a pair could develop seperation anxiety when left on their own.
I would imagine you need to work on it in the same way as regular seperation anxiety - going through the stages, e.g. getting Simba ready for a walk without leaving, settling back down, moving slowly to opening the door then settling back down, popping out the door and straight back in, etc - slow stages making sure Flint doesn't progress to "panic" behaviour. This may be confusing for Simba so I'd perhaps see if you could maybe walk them before this exercise so they've both had some time out, and then practise this exercise after the walk. Perhaps treat it like a bit of training for Simba so he's not totally confused at being clipped on lead - get him practising his sit-stays while you open the door or something like that.
You could maybe look into a DAP collar/spray for Flint too, this may take the edge of the anxiety and help things? Perhaps a vet trip too to rule out a health issue causing the behaviour, e.g. the sudden lunging and now this.
Thanks, I will definatly try going through the stages with them, I havent tried it before to be honest, iv only tried the short time away then come back in and ignore him kinda thing. I praise him once hes calm.
I will talk to OH about the DAP collar, might be worth a try!
As I said in reply to previous post its not a new thing for Flint to bark and lunge on walks, hes always done it no matter what I do, I try and distract him with treats and it sometimes works but I am yet to find something that works 100% of the time

Simba has started doing the lunging and barking when walked with Flint but when I take him out on his own hes like a totally different dog, hes so good
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My previous GSP would panic if left alone. he was fine with one of the other dogs there - it was being totally alone that he couldn`t bear.
So he was never left alone.
Sorry - that`s probably not helpful. But it`s just to say your dog isn`t odd. Dogs are Social animals but they can get used to being on their own or trained to accept it. It does take time though.
I`d take your time more with the training.
Thanks C&D