Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Holiday dilemma - what would you do?

A friend and I go on holiday together with our dogs every year. Recently my Daisy got into a fight with one of hers over a ball and I was injured as well. Daisy was fine but her dog needed stitches.
We are booked to go to Norfolk for a week in April, in a cottage with a garden. There won`t be any way to separate the dogs. I think I should cancel, my friend thinks I can keep Daisy muzzled.
What would you do?
The dogs have walked together regularly for 2 years and have been on holiday before. However, I am worried that 2 bitches can fight to the death.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Could you take a stairgate thing that is adjustable?
Has anything else happened other than the one scuffle?

I would still go and see how it goes. I would however, feed them seperately and ensure they do not have any chews/toys when they are in the same room together.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:46 AM
have you walked the dogs together since the spat?, If not I would try them out on a walk, without the ball lol and see how things go.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
have you walked the dogs together since the spat?, If not I would try them out on a walk, without the ball lol and see how things go.
Shona beat me to it............

You have from now till April, so as much time together would be a good idea.

I think with a ball a this can be common....we had it over Sutton Park a few weeks ago with Dylan and Skye, when Skye had his ball.

Hasn't happened since, a lessen learnt as far as I am concerned, between those two.

Just see how things go. Good luck
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Yes I guess it`s early days yet - I`ll talk to my friend and suggest we keep our options open for a while.
thanks for advice
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Yes I guess it`s early days yet - I`ll talk to my friend and suggest we keep our options open for a while.
thanks for advice
can I ask is this the spat that cost you a finger?

if so do you feel a bit "not sure what word to use" stressed is not the right word.. but you know what I mean?

is it poss for the two girls to do a decent walk on lead to begin with just to see what signals they give each other?

some dogs forgive and forget, my male rotties would likely fall into this group, but the girls as you say can have a longer memory and a shorter fuse.

my two girls have never got into a spat, but if they did I would be more cautious about it with them than I would with the boys,

that said, two rottie bitches I know did have a major set too, they came to the club to iron out there diff, after a few weeks it worked well, they now get on fine on walks and so on, but as of yet they have not ventured into each others homes, I think I would need to be there for this to be done,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 12:19 PM
apprehensive is the word I was looking for lol

my brain has a day of on sundays ....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 12:36 PM
yes - that is the problem (although neither of the original combatants ate my finger - that was one of the pack joining in because he likes a good ruck!) I`m not sure it`s going to be a very relaxing holiday.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Excellent advice already given on here.

I would do as others have said, and give them as much supervised time together as possible before the holiday, without anything prized (toys, food etc.) around them.

Hope you can work it out - seems a shame you might lose your holiday as well as part of a finger.......

x0x0x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
yes - that is the problem (although neither of the original combatants ate my finger - that was one of the pack joining in because he likes a good ruck!) I`m not sure it`s going to be a very relaxing holiday.
do you mean yes... your a bit apprehensive?

If so thats totaly understandable, I think If I had been in your shoes, I would be the same, I once had a very bad riding accident whiles show jumping, I did ride soon afterwards, But I COULDNT jump for 4 years, I had to go to a top trainer and slowly rebuild that, I have been lucky with dogs, given that I take on dogs that no other trainer will touch due to the level of there aggression, somehow I have never been hurt, {someone up there is looking after me} But one day it will happen, the odds are stacked against me, im not getting any younger and quicker lol

I think given that most of your dogs are rescues, you will have had issues with many at a guess, Your clearly a compitent owner, this was an unlucky accident, I so wished I lived near you to come and help out... xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >