View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:17 PM
If you go for a worker you need to be prepared to probably need to exercise them a lot more than from non-working lines and know that they will probably have a lot more working instinct (depending on the breed of course).

In weims a lot of show dogs are also workers and it's preferred really amongst enthusiasts that a weim is not JUST a showdog and has not gone down the route of many and that show'ers can actually do a good day in the field too.

Maddy didn't have the temp for working but otherwise (in the way of natural instinct and drive e.t.c) could have easily been trained in the field. Her lines are excellent in the field.

But as always, even in a working bred litter you will find pups that are not suitable workers, the same as in a show bred litter you will have pups that will go no where in the ring, you can do your best in breeding but at the end of the day nature is in charge. I have seen weims with very little hunting instinct and at 3 years old Maddy still has heaps and will stalk flush and point, albeit not professionally - but she's never been taught and still does it.

If not trained to work as a pup the instincts usually subside or lessen (not totally disappear though) over the years but can be so strong in some dogs that they will never really be very happy (or perhaps satisfied is more apt) in a pet only home.

So all in all down to the individual dog, some would be fine with just extra exercise, (although it is debatable, especially with Collies) but to an extent working could be replaced with trials, flyball, agility e.t.c.

All JMO of course based on dogs I have known personally. x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:34 PM
i like the working lines better in most breeds ive seen (BCs, GSDs, Labs, Goldies, cockers,Malinois,Clumbers etc- i Prefer the Show lines ESS though)

I think as a whole they just seem to have , for me, abit more about them,(huge genarlization of course). But i like really goey , drivey dogs that are aliitle bit "more"

Ive never seen a pic of a working setter...piccy?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I think with my breed, border collies, that a show bred one would be most suitable to a pet only home. That's not to say they can't work/do various dog sports, () but I think they'd be more content than working dogs would be if they didn't do either of these. For example, my border collie is from show lines and whilst he adores his agility & obedience, he'd probably be okay without it, where as I think a working lined dog is more likely to become bored and unsettled.

However, for those who wish to work their dog, or do dog sports, working lines may be equally suitable or in many cases more suitable. My next border collie will likely be a mix of show & working lines, as i plan to continue with the obedience and agility and I'd like a mix of the two lines.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Firstly, I think a lot not only depends on the breed of dog, but also the individual dog and also the kind of "pet" home.

Some working bred dogs (our working collies spring to mind) would not do well at all in a pet home that didn't exercise them (mentally and physically) on a daily basis and a home who didn't understand their inherent herding instincts. Many working bred collies need a job to do, and some are never happy unless they are working sheep. There are then certain work bred collies who are more than happy with a more laidback, lazy kind of a lifestyle and would run a mile from sheep It is an individual thing - although I would steer most pet-only homes away from a work bred dog, and probably suggest they speak to show breeders.

My GSDs are (for all intents and purposes) bred more for a pet market - although some siblings do work. My ex OH had working line bred GSDs for police work. These dogs would do okay in a pet home that was a very active pet home - again with the dog being given plenty to do. My longcoats tend to be fairly laidback, and so perhaps make a better pet for the average family.

I only know one working bred English setter (owned by a friend of mine who works her) and I have to say, my friend has said she would not really make a good pet, as she is pretty hyper! This could just be this line or this individual bitch though.

So, after saying all that, I don't think there is a definitive answer either way.
what she said...x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i like the working lines better in most breeds ive seen (BCs, GSDs, Labs, Goldies, cockers,Malinois,Clumbers etc- i Prefer the Show lines ESS though)

I think as a whole they just seem to have , for me, abit more about them,(huge genarlization of course). But i like really goey , drivey dogs that are aliitle bit "more"

Ive never seen a pic of a working setter...piccy?
but would you agree that many PET homes would stuggle to channel that drive?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:05 PM
My darling Dotty:

Sorry, got carried away lol.

Helen
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
but would you agree that many PET homes would stuggle to channel that drive?
Maybe, probaley. Not a experinced "pet" home though or if they wanted to do abit more.

I dont really know what the OP wants to do with the dog, so it would depend on that. For Myself id like a working lines goldie one day...they are like tigger!!!!! Bounce bounce bounce!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
My darling Dotty:

Helen
oooo thank you, what a lovely dog!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
My darling Dotty:

Helen
Absolutely beautiful But I am biased to my beloved English
Thanks for the replies guys, food for thought!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2