Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Chester has lost weight

We had to cut down his food again... because the runny poo came back.

So we cut him down to one cup of food in the morning and one in the evening... but his ribs started to show and me feeling guilty feed him abit more (extra handful in each meal) ops:

He went for a walk last night and pooed twice the first was quite hard the second was very very runny... Ian wasn't happy as he couldn't pick it up, so now he is starving him for the day and only giving him boiled water.

I'm getting fed up now... not sure what to do, we have done the whole vet thing and there is nothing wrong.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Ahhh so sorry. Dont know what to do though.

Have you tried changing the food? Probablely done that several times, but that was all I could think of at the moment
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah, done the food thing... cannot remember what he has had so far but its about 6 or 7 different types...
Chappie has been the best so far, the vet did suggest taking a stomach biopsy, to be honest i don't want him cut open.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Yeah I thought so

No I wouldnt want Luna to be cut open either. But cant they do it by taking a tube down through his throat?

Its strange that no food works. Have you tried to give him the same amount of food, just split out to say 3 times a day. I mean if its when he gets a big dose his ummy dont like it, then maybe it would help?

I dont know as I'm a first dog owner, so still have to learn as I go along
Robert
Dogsey Senior

11-08-2004, 07:15 PM
I think I'd try what J suggested.

From what I know of biopsy's they don't involve an operation, the ones I've had any way, are just a needle pushed in to which ever bit they want a sample from, might be dfferent for stomachs though.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Have you tried adding chopped up chicken necks to his normal food? I suggest chopping them into small pieces as some dogs will gulp them down whole & could cause choking. Slippery Elm is also good for firming up the output.

Have you tried the special diet food for sensitive stomachs?

Edited to add - I think a stomach biopsy would involve passing an endoscope under GA rather than surgery
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi Kirsty I dont mean to nag but did you try Pascoes all in one complete? It's the ONLY food that was ok with Rocky...

It's not expensive either so why not give it a whirl?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Kirsty is it worse after Chester runs about?
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

13-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Kirsty, I have heard this can be a problem with certain Scott and sandvalley bred dogs.
They seem to be allergic to alot of grain based foods even the high grade ones.Most american AB owners feed raw chicken parts and biscuit as a main meal with ownly a small amount of kibble.
It may be worth trying a BARF type diet if you aint already.(even tho i'm not a great fan of it)
If not even worse cheap tinned food with added suplements.

Almost all comercial dry dog food has a type of grain as a main ingredient and it could take yrs to find out if he is allergic to all or any one of them.

Eagle pack Holistic IMO is the best dry food ,its expensive but from my experience and advice from many others is not hypo-allergenic, ie it doesnt contain things dogs are allergic to.I have not heard of any dog doing badly on this food.Maybe worth a try?
Also i think i said B4 on your board a holistic vet may help again tho can b ££££.
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

13-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Also i must add when switching between foods it must be done over a 5-7 day period. Alot of dogs with sensite stomachs or digestive problems can be made worse if choped and changed too quickley.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >