View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Well that just happens to be my most favourite colour too, so I'll definitely be looking out for that in B & Q!!! Thanks very much for that tip, I'll be checking that colour out now, and I'm glad it's not "poncy" coz I don't do "poncy" lol!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
so they didn't supply any in the end, they credited me for it.

Now don't say you're gonna disagree with me for once H!!!!
If they didn't supply any (and they gave you a credit) then pop down to B&Q or wherever and get a big can of Cuprinol clear, that will leave no colour and you can paint it any colour after it's dried. IMO it's one of the best wood preservers and you should get 10 years easily.

As for disagreeing...........would I ever do that It's your summer house H and you paint it the colour you like best, I was merely voicing my thoughts as a hobby woodworker
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Blimey! There's posh!

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
If they didn't supply any (and they gave you a credit) then pop down to B&Q or wherever and get a big can of Cuprinol clear, that will leave no colour and you can paint it any colour after it's dried. IMO it's one of the best wood preservers and you should get 10 years easily.

As for disagreeing...........would I ever do that It's your summer house H and you paint it the colour you like best, I was merely voicing my thoughts as a hobby woodworker
Thanks again H. The thing is, if I cover it in that Cuprinol clear, will it leave a lacquer on the top, coz I don't want that do I, if I'm going to either paint it, or use a coloured wood preserver, coz it will all slip off the surface won't it??? Heeeeeelp!!!

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Blimey! There's posh!

Well, I like a touch of class Vicki, as you well know (even if I do it cheapskate style!)
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow H, that is lovely!! Hope Dave is gonna reap a few rewards for building you that little palace?!!
Look forward to seeing the end results.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Lol Claire, yes he gets to have some peace and quiet inside the house whilst we're out there!!! That's it!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks again H. The thing is, if I cover it in that Cuprinol clear, will it leave a lacquer on the top, coz I don't want that do I, if I'm going to either paint it, or use a coloured wood preserver, coz it will all slip off the surface won't it??? Heeeeeelp!!!
No don't worry about that H one of the things i like about it is that as soon as you put it on you can see it soak right into the wood, and it works by getting deep down where many so called wood preservers don't. Sp there is no lacquer or oil type stuff left on the surface.

The only negative which I maybe should have mentioned is that you do need to leave it for at least a week before putting anything else on. I'll try to check that and PM you, I know it's quite a long time 'cos I'm always wanting to get on with the next stage and don't like waiting
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for getting back to me on that one H The Cuprinol clear has gone on my shopping list and I'll be using that then. The trouble is, Dave has one of those fantastic sprayers, which is a Ronseal power sprayer, so I was really hoping I might get an equivalent in a Ronseal for obvious reasons, especially with what I've done with that left shoulder (coz I've probably done the same with the right one if the truth's known lol!).

I'll probably get so carried away with it, that I'll even have the energy to spray all the fencing (and there's blooming hundred's of metres of that around the garden and up the back ). If there is no equivalent, however, then by the time I've finished it by hand, it'll be ready for it's topcoat, just like that Forth Bridge!!!

I think I'm more impatient than you H, I'll be painting around the furniture if I know me!!! I have been known to paint around spiders in the past lol!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2010, 07:44 PM
This is what it says on the tin:-

Painting & Finishing
Where required finishes (Oil or water based paints, varnishes, outdoor woodstains, and polishes etc.) can be applied normally to treated wood after the preserver has dried (normally 2 - 5 days for brush, spray, or 3 minute dip, but maybe longer in cold weather or poor ventilation)

I note that they do suggest doing a small test area first as some timbers may darken slightly, all I can say is that I've never had this happen with any of the timbers I have been able to get my hands on, I think they may mean one or two of the African and South American timbers. All summer houses in UK are almost certainly made of Pine or Spruce from Scotland or Sweden so no worries there.

I've never used the Ronseal sprayer but ask Dave if it would spray Cuprinol wood preserver, I think it might do so.

I bet you're eager to get it all finished now and start sitting in there with the dogs and not forgetting the cocktails Photos required please
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 07:59 PM
It's looking lovely Can't wait to see it finished x
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >