Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Camping....

me and daph are going camping on friday for 4 days. any one got any tips or warnings for me lol?

nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 11:39 AM
We took our dogs in a caravan at the weekend we had to watch out for the three dogs near us all off leads one was a ridgeback who was none to friendly so thats something to watch out for - loose dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
We took our dogs in a caravan at the weekend we had to watch out for the three dogs near us all off leads one was a ridgeback who was none to friendly so thats something to watch out for - loose dogs.
thanks. ive bought daph one of those cable things with a peg in thr ground so she can wander around our tent, but will definately look out for loose ones.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Make sure you bring a sleeping bag big enough for the dogs to crawl into as well... I went camping for 10 days in July... the nights were really cold one night it even got down to 1C... VERY COLD! especially for July! I had 2 dogs + me in my sleeping bag... granted Mouse is quite small... but Oliver is not all that small, but we all managed, and were quite cozy! one night we even had a pit bull trying to crawl into my sleeping bag... he didn't fit LOL Poor Rocky! Oh and bring enough chairs for the spolied pooches,

Here's an actual tip... lots of water, you will be forever filling tipped water bowls if your dog is on a tie out. Prob. a good idea to bring a shovel for filling the holes your dog digs... I wish I'd'a thought of that! OH and some way to dry off your dog before letting her in the tent, incase it rains... you will have a very wet, uncomfortable night with wet blankets... I think I thought of everything for you that I forgot lol!
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 12:25 PM
oo im going camping on friday for 4 days too, its Dutch's first holiday so very exciting
I'm gonna try and remember these tips and hopefully we wont have any problems!

Just one quick question though, we're camping not too far from the beach and i know that Dutch will love it BUT he always tries to eat/ drink everything he comes across and i'm sure the sea will be no different.... will the salt water be harmful to him if he drinks it? obviously i'll try my best to stop him but he's a lot faster than me! lol
xxx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Biggest thing for me was offlead dogs on campsites where it says dogs onlead...next time I go if it happens I will definately be reporting them. It wasn't fair as Axel had to spend some time muzzled while tethered incase the offlead Yorkies came visiting him Sorry to rant, but it really does spoil it!

Keep you dog tethered close until they're used to it and gradually give more room - just a tip I wish I'd thought of before!

A crate or fabric kennel (if not a digger/chewer) is a brill device, very handy and I recommend the 8in1 ones from 'Just For Pets'.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Lots of blankets and towels!

Also worth taking a duvet cover to sleep inside, to protect your sleeping bag from claws
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Avoid drinking sea water ..... If Ozzie is anything to go by its in one end out the other ...
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2010, 01:06 PM
O and if they don't have dry food a good seal able container to stop smells and insects ...
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Avoid drinking sea water ..... If Ozzie is anything to go by its in one end out the other ...
You would think they would learn after the first lick! But no... "mmm water...ick yuk"..(5mins later).."mmm water...ugh agh"..(5mins later).."ooh look...water" and on and on!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >