View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dangermouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2005, 07:36 PM
thanks for that Amts! I think I remember now, that some working breeds can be docked. I just don'y think I have actually SEEN a docked dog for a good few years, which must be a good sign! (and there a plenty of dogs, all sorts of breeds, shapes and sizes, where I live. South of Aarhus)
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
just a quick question, thought i'd ask.... do you think that people only like, or 'prefer 'docked breeds' because they are used to seeing them docked? i'm in no way getting at ANYONE at all with this question, i just wondered and didn't see the point of starting a new thread

i just thought, you see, because i'm used to seeing dobermans for example, that are docked, and i've never seen a docked GSD (this is an example btw), and i just thought- but didn't want to assume- that if rotties or dobermans had never been docked, and it wasn't like, usual, for them to be docked, and they had tails, would the same argument come about in reverse if it was unusual for dobermans to be docked? because i think id feel the same if i saw a docked GSD as seeing an undocked doberman- it would look a bit strange because i'm not used to it (doesnt mean i wouldnt think it was cute, but i dont know because i haven't seen them)

i'm terribly sorry if the above makes NO sense whatsoever, and if its unclear just say

thankyou

kyra xxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dibley
Have you lot been hassling that TV vet Emma by any chance? Because she's certainly hit back at all our arguments (have a look on her site)

I have to say nothing I've read from the pro docking people on here will ever convince me that docking for cosmetic reasons is right. I still believe things should be left as God intended unless for working purposes when it's in the best interests of the dog.

If the kennel club said tomorrow right docking is unacceptable for cosmetic reasons how many of you hand on heart would really WANT to cutt off a dogs tail. I believe if you are being honest with yourselves not many! Maybe I am just from a different kettle of fish so to speak

Also no-one explained to me why it is that my old cat gets into far more dangerous situations than even a lot of working dogs and he still has his tail intact? Shall we cut off all dogs tails incase they may get injured on their walk? and why haven't we all started on the cats?
I am with you Dibley - they are born with it - its there for a reason !!
I dont compare the cats to dogs - however I dont see why a dog would be in any more danger from having their tail or not.

for cosmetic reasons its just not necessary to dock - and as you say why would you even think of doing it if it wasnt the breed standard telling you to !!

dogs have tails
humans dont !!!!
or at least thats what me mammy used to tell me when I didnt shut the door behind me !! LOL - "have you a tail?""
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Not being funny here ...but surely if a dog wags it tail then surely that strengthens the 'wagging 'muscles and the muscles in the base of the tail ...the sphincter (sp) is a different muscle altogether ?? If I'm wrong then tell me

LOL I'm amazed at the directions some of these discussions take LOL

sorry peeps have posted inbetween ( I'm so slow LOL )
I do think alot is what we are used to seeing
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy
Not being funny here ...but surely if a dog wags it tail then surely that strengthens the 'wagging 'muscles and the muscles in the base of the tail ...the sphincter (sp) is a different muscle altogether ?? If I'm wrong then tell me
You are right Just another specious statement with no scientific basis that I know of.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by shibby69
just a quick question, thought i'd ask.... do you think that people only like, or 'prefer 'docked breeds' because they are used to seeing them docked? i'm in no way getting at ANYONE at all with this question, i just wondered and didn't see the point of starting a new thread

i just thought, you see, because i'm used to seeing dobermans for example, that are docked, and i've never seen a docked GSD (this is an example btw), and i just thought- but didn't want to assume- that if rotties or dobermans had never been docked, and it wasn't like, usual, for them to be docked, and they had tails, would the same argument come about in reverse if it was unusual for dobermans to be docked? because i think id feel the same if i saw a docked GSD as seeing an undocked doberman- it would look a bit strange because i'm not used to it (doesnt mean i wouldnt think it was cute, but i dont know because i haven't seen them)

i'm terribly sorry if the above makes NO sense whatsoever, and if its unclear just say

thankyou

kyra xxx
Your post makes perfect sense Seeing a traditionally docked breed with a tail looks very odd to us - but people do get used to anything in time. The point is that tails are/were docked for a purpose - to prevent injury, and most breeders wish to have the choice of continuing a practice that they believe is for the ultimate welfare of their dogs
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog
I am with you Dibley - they are born with it - its there for a reason !!
Bit like us and our tonsils, appendixes born with them but it make no difference to us if we loose them and in some cases it is for the best.

And as a matter of interest Brundog how do you feel about neutering a much more serious removal of part of the dogs original equipment both the operation and the effect of the dog.
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Your post makes perfect sense Seeing a traditionally docked breed with a tail looks very odd to us - but people do get used to anything in time. The point is that tails are/were docked for a purpose - to prevent injury, and most breeders wish to have the choice of continuing a practice that they believe is for the ultimate welfare of their dogs

thankyou for answering my post SB. i guess (forgive me for being slow) that breeds such as GSD, collies and, i don't know, labradors for example, were never used for such a purpose where the tail was likely to be a hinderance to them?

thankyou x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

08-12-2005, 10:01 AM
You are not being slow Shibby and it is good that you are taking time to think about the issue

If you look at the purpose for which the breeds that you mention (and others) were developed and also look at the types of tails which they have you will see that in the herding/pastoral breeds (collies & GSDs) that the danger of tail injury was not significant and that, like the Labs (whose nice thick tails are an asset whilst swimming) the physical structure of the tail is quite unlike that of some of the traditionally docked breeds. Many of the docked breeds have tails which are sparsely covered and taper to a thinness which makes them vulnerable to injury, or they have 'feathered' tails which catch and tangle in undergrowth such as Spaniels where feathers plus excessive 'wagginess' = tangles + injury
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2005, 10:12 AM
thanks for taking the time to explain this all to me
i get why tails were docked in the first place on some breeds, and i think that even though alot of dogs aren't used for working now, and are just pets, i guess many people have grown used to seeing a docked breed docked, i certainly have. i'm not sure if i agree with docking or not as i don't think i'm educated enough on it to make an opinion, plus the facts seem varied :S but a doberman would look strange with a tail, merely because i'm not used to it.

but i've seen many opinions on this, and i'd like to know, does it hurt the puppies? many views are different and i feel i can't put my view into words unless i know the facts i'd never agree with docking if it hurt the pups, but i don't know if it does :S

thanks very much SB x
Page 16 of 33 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »