Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 04:50 PM

Small Business Grants

Bit of a long shot but it's an idea that has just popped into my head. I have worked for myself for the past 18 months but working for mainly a charity. Things have changed there and although, I am still going to get work from them, I have been thinking about my future and expanding where I get the work from.

I have sort of trundled along just sticking invoices in every now and then and the work has been sporadic but at certain times - grouse shooting season I get a lot, January-March I get a bit, and then the grouse counts come and I am doing a lot this year. I'm hoping to get some mapping work from April-June as I did some last year, then the grouse counting in July, and then back to August.

For the grouse counts, I really need a 4wd as I need to drive along moorland tracks to save me a hell of a lot of walking. Looking at hiring, it isn't much more to actually buy one. Here's the stumbling block - I don't have the money to buy, or hire one at the moment.

I was bringing Dusty in, and brushing her, and had a bit of a thought, like you do when doing jobs like that, and I thought about small business grants, specifically rural ones (maybe this should be in the rural area). Anyway, does anyone have any experience of them? I have googled and just got a bit confused but imagine I need to start contacting people. However, I don't want to contact people without having a little bit of knowledge.

I am a VERY small business, only earning £2500 in the first year but earning a bit more than that in the second year. It's enough to keep me off the dole anyway!

I would really appreciate any pointers that anyone may have.

Thanks
Helen
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi Helen, there are grants available in Wales at the mo, but they are usually given based on two things:

Whether you can create jobs
That you match the funding with your own money

I might be worth getting in touch with your local chamber of commerce - they usually know if grants are available in your area.

Good luck!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks. I certainly won't be able to create any jobs but matching the grant may be an option later on in the year during my busy period.

I'll see what I can find for here.

Thanks.

Helen