Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Housing Crisis

Now I knew social housing was and is hard to get,always has been,but until I logged on to homeseekers for my area this morning I didn't realise how bad it actually is

There are 3 H/A that have property here but there were only two 2 bed properties available to bid on around here
So I would imagine it's extremely difficult to get a 3 bed house if you your needs meet the critera as there are very few 3 bed properties,infact none in my area.

People can't afford to buy,private rentals are expensive rent wise,social housing have waiting lists a mile long,with little chance of getting a property, so are we seeing a housing Crisis ?
Mackie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, thanks to mass immigration.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Immigration and the umpteen amount of teenage pregnancies we have in this country is to blame, IMO.

If didn't give these stupid kids a council house and all the benefits to go with the baby, there would certainly be a reduction in the amount of teenagers getting pregnant and being allocated local authority housing, I'm sure of it.

I've been on the list for a council house for almost 2 years now and my place on the list is getting worse. I've worked full time since I was 18 and I'm now 26. I have studied in between times and I'm taking an evening course at the moment.

I live with my grandparents. If I was lucky enough to be allocated a house, I would be paying all my own bills without any subsidies (and rightly so) but the chances of me getting one is next to zero beause of the above irresponsible people in society and those in government who make up these idiotic legislations in the first place. Both are to blame.

I would probably only get a house if I was to get pregnant, which is highly irresponsible and is NOT going to happen. I'm not that stupid and I have morals, unlike far too many members of society who thinks the country owes them a living.

If we keep on, as a country, rewarding irresponsible behaviour, the benefit and housing crisis will never change, unfortunately.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 08:18 PM
We were on the waiting list for 5 years,living with my Dad and over crowded when we were offered our first council place,this was over 20 yrs ago.

I also think the selling off of council houses to tenants and not building anymore has contributed to the problem.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
We were on the waiting list for 5 years,living with my Dad and over crowded when we were offered our first council place,this was over 20 yrs ago.

I also think the selling off of council houses to tenants and not building anymore has contributed to the problem.
Terrible, isn't it? I'll never get one. And I can't afford to buy either.

Yes, I think you're right there, I also think they've sold far too many council houses and that has contributed to the problem, too.

Regarding new builds, they are building some new houses and flats here (some are already finished and occupied), but unless you're on benefits and are a teenage mother, likelyhood is you'll never get one! That's the way it seems to go here.

I've been to meetings etc but it makes no difference. My friend suggested I contacted my local MSP, which I'm still considering.

Why is it that those who CHOOSE to be irresponsible get all the help and those who make responsible life decisions get little to no help when needed? It's not morally or ethically right at all and it really makes me angry.

This country is too much of a soft touch. It rarely heps the people who want to try and get on in life whilst making responsible decisions.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 08:45 PM
We should all go on Question Time and batter David Dimbleby with these questions!!

I agree with all of you. We have European neighbours who have never done a stroke of work in the 5 years in which they have lived there. 2 Kids later, and they are still standing outside having a cigarette in the garden. I wish I could afford to still smoke!! Yet, I still get up at 4.30 in the morning to start work at 6 to help pay their rent!!

Its the same with the young girls having kids.... blah... blah.. blah..

We can go on forever... But it doesn't solve our housing crisis for people who have paid into the system for years...... We just sit on the list for years... and years.... and years....

We are paying for these people to live.. whilst still paying unbelievably high rent ourselves to enable our own kids to grow up in a relatively nice area.....