Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Ummm last time I heard, killing IS violence....

I'm not saying it chose to roll over because it was threatened or wanted to appease the other wolf, though, which you've assumed.

I'll ask again - was the photo of captive wolves?
I do not know about those photos from before. But I have seen the same behavior in wolves in Yellowstone, Wyoming. Here I have found this picture which is definitely from wild. Do you believe that this behavior is displayed only by wolfs in captivity?. Believe me that is not the case. :

Here read this:
http://courses.moodleshare.com/mod/r...ew.php?id=7387

http://stopwolfhunting.webs.com/wolf101.htm
Prager Hans
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 07:54 PM
So let me make this clear.
1. Some of You guys are saying all positive is good and all negative is bad.
2. The wolves do not dominate others within the pack. They are just mom and dad and their little children and they live in harmony without rules of pack's hierarchy.))
3. Old trainers like Most and Koehler trained with negative only approach.
4. All violence is bad.
5. Dog responds to you only because he/she loves you.
6.If you apply properly positive x Negative reinforcement that is harsh and thus you are cruel mean person.
7. If you apply any kind of negative on a dog that he will learn that and becomes aggressive. On the other hand if you apply just positive then he will always be little angel.
8. And yes you dog is perfect and will never disobey and you are perfect and will never drop the leash by mistake since you know that it is against the law.
9. Proper training applies 100% positive and no negative is ever needed.

Does that sums it up?
Prage Hans
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Rescource-guarding happens even in domestic dogs. And the last photo you posted could have been of play-fighting wolves.

Any studies done of captive wolves have to be suspect, since they are of a dysfunctional family. It would be like taking you, me, a couple of people off the street, possibly a few random orphaned children and a couple of elderly folk, putting us in a cage, and trying to extrapolate our interactions and relationships as typical of all human beings everywhere.

And what does it matter anyway?

The domestic dog didn't evolve from the type of wolves that can be studied nowadays. The original ancestors of our dogs existed around 30,000 years ago and we have modified their behaviour so much that they should be viewed as a different species altogether.

Start thinking Dog not Wolf and you'll be a lot closer both literally and figuratively. That's why modern zoologists, biologists, ethologists and anthrozoologists have started doing more research into dogs as a separate species.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Prager Hans View Post
I have already explained it.
Prager Hans
OK so you say you get the pup to roll over with play
But how? you physically rolling the pup over or the pup choosing to roll themselves over during play?

If you physicaly hands on turn the pup over to you believe that the act of the pups tummy being exposed to you actually MAKES the puppy respect you

If not by you physically turning the pup over what do you do if the pup dosent choose to show their tummy?

What would you do with an older rescue dog?
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Here is a good one:
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/bas...munication.asp

Prager Hans
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Here is a good one:
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/bas...munication.asp
OK.... well the reference given at the foot of that article is to a book written in the 1970's by David Mech. Out of date doesn't even cover it. Obsolete isn't far enough really. Dysfunctional family fits nicely.

Photo
African wild dogs. Yep. Nice.

It does help to know that:
a) All wolf research done prior to the last 15 or so years is redundant, obsolete, archaic, refuted, not applicable....
and
b) The dog is a totally separate species of canid, changed by man over thousands of years, separated from its now extinct ancestor and thus cannot be compared to any other extant canid species?

Get over the wolves already!!!!!!
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
OK so you say you get the pup to roll over with play
But how? you physically rolling the pup over or the pup choosing to roll themselves over during play?

If you physicaly hands on turn the pup over to you believe that the act of the pups tummy being exposed to you actually MAKES the puppy respect you

If not by you physically turning the pup over what do you do if the pup dosent choose to show their tummy?

What would you do with an older rescue dog?
I assume that you are honest with your question.

As far as the pup goes i would see if he is social. And if he is he will display his stomach. If he is not I would live with the dog until he is comfortable with you and then i would go on the floor with him ( on his level 0 and let him let me in game to roll him. But I have said in former posts here I do not advice to apply this method because there is too many variables. If you would be here with me then i can show you but this is not what you should do if the pup does not do it for you naturally ,that is unless you know what you are doing and then you would not ask this question. For your safety, you should not do this with old rescue dog. This dog has had probably (or just maybe) bad experience from someone who abused him.
In that case you just live with him for a while. I mean for a months or 4 . Have a fun with the dog. There are other ways to give dog a guidance. This thread went so much about alpha roll, which is legit method, but only few can do it properly> Thus there are other methods. I would need to know more about your dog in order to advice you.
I just have hard time to advice to someone on this forum since it would go on the tangent of me defending to advice rather then help you.
You can probably figure out who I am and you can contact me with e mail and I would be glad to help you.
Hans
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 08:37 PM
OK.... well the reference given at the foot of that article is to a book written in the 1970's by David Mech. Out of date doesn't even cover it. Obsolete isn't far enough really. Dysfunctional family fits nicely.

African wild dogs. Yep. Nice.

It does help to know that:
a) All wolf research done prior to the last 15 or so years is redundant, obsolete, archaic, refuted, not applicable....
Says who You?
and
b) The dog is a totally separate species of canid, changed by man over thousands of years, separated from its now extinct ancestor and thus cannot be compared to any other extant canid species?

Get over the wolves already!!!!!!
Dog and wolf are both same species. You do not even know that. Canis lupus. Same species same behavioral patterns except dog is less shy.
Are you guys serious?! Do I have to defend here that the earth is not flat?
FYI someone asked me about the wolves. That is why I have brought it up. Get a grip. Just because you believe something does not mean it is the truth. Prove to me your points if you think that you can do it otherwise go away.
Prager Hans
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 08:51 PM
So let me make this clear.
1. Some of You guys are saying all positive is good and all negative is bad.
No, positive punishment is pretty cruel. Negative reward can be used sometimes but I prefer to try and use positive reward

2. The wolves do not dominate others within the pack. They are just mom and dad and their little children and they live in harmony without rules of pack's hierarchy.))
All families have rules and personalities but the younger wolves are not trying to raise their status so they can be the alpha one day - if they stayed in the pack that would mean that they would breed with their parents or a sibling
ALL the cubs will one day leave the pack and form their own pack - even the most picked upon wolf who shows the most apeasing gestures to the others in the pack

3. Old trainers like Most and Koehler trained with negative only approach.
4. All violence is bad.

YES! in terms of humans with animals. What happens in the wild is totaly different than what happens with our domestic animals.
5. Dog responds to you only because he/she loves you.

Nope. Dogs respond for many reasons. For thousands of years we have bred from the dogs who most wanted to work with humans, they also learn because of the consequences of their actions - if something good happens then the want to do the thing more, if something bad happens they want to do it less
what the dog decides is good or bad is up to the dog - a smile may be enough for some dogs, and a sharp word may be a big punishment to some dogs

6.If you apply properly positive x Negative reinforcement that is harsh and thus you are cruel mean person.
If you choose to apply harsh training when you know there is alternatives then yes that is cruel
Even using positive punishment it does not have to be harsh

7. If you apply any kind of negative on a dog that he will learn that and becomes aggressive. On the other hand if you apply just positive then he will always be little angel.

Of course not. In some situations, like punishing fear agression you could cause aggression to get worse
In general rewarding a dog makes them more confident, makes them try new things and helps them develop their brains making them smarter
Punishment supresses behaviour making dogs less likely to try new things, makes them less confident and does not work their brains

8. And yes you dog is perfect and will never disobey and you are perfect and will never drop the leash by mistake since you know that it is against the law.

Nothing is foolproof - punishments are not 100% either - if the reward of chasing the furry is greater than the punishment you inflict then the dog will chase the furry
In (horrible) experiments on rats they had them on one side of a cage with an electrified piece of floor in the middle

In one group they put food on the other side of the floor
The rats of course tried to get to the food and got electrocuted
and so they starved to death on their own side of the cage

another group they got hooked on ratty drugs and put their drugs on the other side of the cage
the junkie rats got shocked the same as the foodie rats
but their desire for the drugs was greater and so they walked across the floor
chasing is an addiction

9. Proper training applies 100% positive and no negative is ever needed.

Does that sums it up?
Prage Hans
It is possible to train by only choosing to apply positive reward
it means you have to think about things from a dogs perspective tho
I am learning all the time but as a challange to myself I am trying to train 100% positive reward
it is possible to use negative punishment kindly as well and I am in no way against that
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 08:53 PM
for a second i believed that you are asking legit question. What a fool i am.

So you say:

So you are actually saying because the picture was taken in 1970 the behavior which I am documenting is obsolete??!!!!
So because Newton described gravity 300 or so years ago the gravity is obsolete?

Prager Hans
Page 15 of 26 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »