Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2005, 10:57 AM

arthritus

Hi everyone.

Barney my 8yr old Cav has what we think is arthritus in his front leg (wrist) he walks fine ect on it, but he licks the joint area so now its very pink. We only take him to the vets when we have to as he gets stressed out there (has a bad heart too). I was just wondering is there anything i can give him, oil or somthing to help him???
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I would give him glucosamine. But I dont know if he needs to be examined first though...
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

25-05-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure I think maybe you should see the vet first
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Yep go see your vet first just to make sure it is arthritis, J's suggestion is good i would agree if he has arthritis, good luck and keep us posted x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Yes, get a veterinary diagnosis first. Depending on the severity of the problem, if it is arthritis, your vet may prescribe an anti-inflammatory or suggest various dietary supplements such as oils, glucosomine, chondroitin, etc.

It could, of course, be just a habit. Some dogs will lick as a form of stress relief.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Barneys normal vet (sees normal and cardiolagist vets) said it is arthritus, I just dont want to take him to the vets when hes not got another reason to go, hes due the end of June to see his Cardiologist again whos always willing to give any help he can. He cant be given any anti imflammatorys due to him being on a heart trial, if he doesn have to go on them then its a 40mile trip to cardio vet as he needs a full blood work ect before tablets are added. But stuff added to feeds or oil is ok as they dont affect bloods. What ever anyone can advise on using I will call his Cardio beofre he goes onit to let them know.

Where can i get glucosamine?????
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

25-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I've heard that glucosamine is very good for arthritis but like any oils it won't be an imediate help - I think you can get glucosamine at the pet shops?
Mossford
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2005, 07:09 PM
My lab has arthritus, and is stiff when getting up from a rest/sleep. I spoke with my homeopath about her and she suggested that I put 3 rhus-tox 6c in her water bowl daily. She has been on this for 10 days now and she has improved greatly. My golden also drinks out of the same bowl and he's great too.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I don't know what anyone else here thinks about magnetic therapy, but Tia suffers from arthritis in her back legs and used to find it difficult to stand up after lying down for a long time. I was told about Norstar Biomagnets and gave it a go. The results are quite amazing, she now bounces around like she did years ago. The original company have been taken over but here's the link to the site
http://www.innertalk.co.uk/products/...orstarpets.htm

Have to say I use a bracelet now and we also sleep on a 'magnetic' mattress cover.
You may argue that it's all in the mind and normally I am very sceptical, but nobody can tell Tia what it's supposed to be doing, can they ??

By the way, if you want to by Glucosamine (sulphate) tablets buy it from a health shop, they're loads cheaper
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Definatley, get a vets opinion first. If you want any advice just PM me, as my 6 year old JRT, Polly suffers from arthritus in both her abck legs, as they were broken when she was a puppy.
so any advice wanted, just PM me
best wishes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >