Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
I also never liked the fact that people with poor quality dogs got the 'ump when they got beaten by a better specimen and obviously it HAD to be because the judge was facey. I saw more of that at companion shows than I ever do at Ch shows!

Debs
I never get the `ump, I know my crew are the bestest `specimens` [ well, apart from being white, deaf, too tall or too small for their breed, minor details really ], so I assume when they are beaten its because the judges probably assume my crew must win all the time because they are so special so they want to give others a chance of taking home a nice Rosie for a change
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
In additions a good turn out is beneficial to the charity involved. The more the merrier I would have thought :smt001
In my experience it by no means a done deal that the "show" dog will win and when it doesn't well, we all have a good chuckle all round and the "pet" owner goes home pleased as punch. On the occasions that the "show" dog does win the "pet" owner goes home still convinced that he has the best dog because these things are a fix, don't you know. A win, win situation (and an extra win for the charity ) all round!
I agree Hewey, ive been beaten at a companion show by pet dogs it adds to the fun. We dont really go to win if we do its a bonus. Its just a nice way to pass a day with our furry friends and as you say raise money for good causes.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Clipper, your post is a perfect example of why I feel the way I do about it
So glad you had a lovely time, but then you have such a good attitude to it you could`nt really fail to enjoy a fun show for exactly what its meant to be - fun !

I do hope there will be lots of photies from the show and a write up being posted soon, and from the other weekend shows anyone went to

And dont forget the general Brags and Photos thread if anyone has some piccies or results / experiences to share

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=58178
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
From what I have seen, these folk are entering these shows with extremely serious intent. There approach could never be described as "fun". They even kept themselves, and their dogs, well apart from the "fun" contingent. My eyes were well and truly opened.
I understand fully what you mean, Marionette, and agree that a lot entrants (almost always in the pedigree classes) don't make it fun for themselves or their dogs, unfortunately. Their experience seems to be far from fun, imo.

As an entrant at yesterday's show here in Greenock (at which we had a good time), I, and i'm sure a few others, witnessed harsh handling going on in the pedigree ring (I would actually call it cruel). I also noticed a few sore losers aswell (also in the pedigree classes) because their dogs weren't placed or were placed last.

I've been at quite a few of these shows over the past few years, and it seems to me that a lot of the entrants in the pedigree classes take it far too seriously.

I still firmly believe that once a dog starts entering official KC shows, then they should no longer be permitted to enter Companion/fun dog shows.
Marionette
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Let's give the "charity" thing a swerve, please. I am never, ever impressed by that.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
Let's give the "charity" thing a swerve, please. I am never, ever impressed by that.
Not sure what your getting at here. All the companion shows I do raise money for worthy causes, usaully ones i support such as the air ambulance or dog rescue. Often thats one of the reasons for going and we always have a go on the raffle etc.
As I've stated the majority of show people go to practise with there dogs and no we dont always expect to win, there are some very nice pet dogs out there.
At the end of the day your not competing against each other but again the judges interpretation of yuor particular breed standard, so you'll win some and lose some, and Id like to think we all take defeat gracously i know i do.
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:01 PM
HTML Code:
I understand fully what you mean, Marionette, and agree that a lot entrants (almost always in the pedigree classes) don't make it fun for themselves or their dogs, unfortunately. Their experience seems to be far from fun, imo.

As an entrant at yesterday's show here in Greenock (at which we had a good time), I, and i'm sure a few others, witnessed harsh handling going on in the pedigree ring (I would actually call it cruel). I also noticed a few sore losers aswell (also in the pedigree classes) because their dogs weren't placed or were placed last.
Westie N, to the first part of your post, you were obviously standing with the wrong folk. If you had decided to come over to where I was standing, you would have had a great time. I was with some longstanding friends and some newly made. We all had a great time, gassing about this and that, the dogs tails never stopped wagging all day and it was generally a "FUN" day.

As to the second part of your post. If you saw any harsh or cruel handling, regardless of what class it was in, you could and should have reported it to the show secretary. Under KC rules, handling of this sort is NOT allowed. Don't sit back, do nothing and then moan about it later.

Can I ask why you are so against show dogs entering these shows?? I know what you posted before but sorry, my dear, I don't think this is the real crux of your gripe. Maybe if you feel so badly about companion shows, you would be best to stay away and just give a donation to the charity concerned. No offence meant by this, just my observation on the line you are taking.
Clipper & the furry gang
Marionette
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Not sure what your getting at here.
I think that folk who genuinely support charities do so quietly - they don't shout it from the rooftops for all to hear. Those that do that are only doing it for one reason.

As for your comment "there are some very nice pet dogs out there." - I find this exceedingly patronising!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Wasnt meant to be patronising what i was trying to get across is not all show standard dogs go into the ring a lot are sold to pet home as logistically its ompossible to keep them all. So its quite feasible that there are some dogs at these shows that are better than the "show " dogs there and these will rightly win.
With regards to the charity, it you enter these shows your donating anyway, and as for shouting it from the roof tops some of us on here were just stating that we can practise our hobby and help charity at the same time.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
HTML Code:

Westie N, to the first part of your post, you were obviously standing with the wrong folk. If you had decided to come over to where I was standing, you would have had a great time. I was with some longstanding friends and some newly made. We all had a great time, gassing about this and that, the dogs tails never stopped wagging all day and it was generally a "FUN" day.

As to the second part of your post. If you saw any harsh or cruel handling, regardless of what class it was in, you could and should have reported it to the show secretary. Under KC rules, handling of this sort is NOT allowed. Don't sit back, do nothing and then moan about it later.

Can I ask why you are so against show dogs entering these shows?? I know what you posted before but sorry, my dear, I don't think this is the real crux of your gripe. Maybe if you feel so badly about companion shows, you would be best to stay away and just give a donation to the charity concerned. No offence meant by this, just my observation on the line you are taking.
Clipper & the furry gang
Clipper,

I can assure you that I made my feelings on the harsh handling I saw very clear. It wasn't just me who seen (and heard) it.

As for not reporting it at the time, the few organisers of the show were stressed out their minds yesterday, so I decided not to mention it to them then. I will be speaking to them about it during the week when I see them, so see if they seen anything.

I am against show dogs entering Companion/fun dog shows because I feel it is unfair and there isn't really any comparison between most, for example, show Bichon Frises and ones who are not shown. I feel Companion/fun shows should be for the owners whose dogs aren't of show quality, but are adored family pets. Now, don't misunderstand me here, obviously there are many show dogs out there who are adored my their owners, that is not what I am saying at all. Owners should choose to enter either official KC shows or Companion/fun shows, not both, imo.
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 27 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »