View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 09:26 PM

Can dogs get sick after contact with mixy rabbits??

Ohhh back in the health section

But am very curious over this...

My boy (Takoda) was running about in the tall grass today and emerged with a rabbit in his mouth

We called both dogs to a halt and they complied and Takoda actually seemed quite pleased to give the rabbit up, it was the first time he has picked one up in his mouth and he seemed quite unsure and was really gentle with it tbh...

Quite sweet really...

But anyway...On inspection the rabbit had really bad sores everywhere was in a terrible state, swollen shut eyes etc, the reason why Takoda would have just been able to go pick it up really...

Well I guess it had myxymatosis right?? (sorry about the spelling, that's a difficult one!)

I need to know can dogs get sick from contact with sick rabbits etc?? I really really hope not.

Hope you guys can give me some advice on this one.

Thanks
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
hope im some help just asked me dad and he said no there is no illness a dog can get from a rabbit with this disease it just affects all other rabbits it comes in to contact with
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I dont think there is anything they can get from a mixy rabbit ,the dog I grew up with "Gypsy" often caught and killed mixy rabbits and she never suffered any ill effects ,I have heard of other dogs doing this too ,I guess its quite common as the rabbits are easy to catch
I dont think you have anything to worry about
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Ohhh back in the health section

But am very curious over this...

My boy (Takoda) was running about in the tall grass today and emerged with a rabbit in his mouth

We called both dogs to a halt and they complied and Takoda actually seemed quite pleased to give the rabbit up, it was the first time he has picked one up in his mouth and he seemed quite unsure and was really gentle with it tbh...

Quite sweet really...

But anyway...On inspection the rabbit had really bad sores everywhere was in a terrible state, swollen shut eyes etc, the reason why Takoda would have just been able to go pick it up really...

Well I guess it had myxymatosis right?? (sorry about the spelling, that's a difficult one!)

I need to know can dogs get sick from contact with sick rabbits etc?? I really really hope not.

Hope you guys can give me some advice on this one.

Thanks

What a wonderful boy!!!!! Aw bless him!
Sues2longtails
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2005, 03:53 PM
We had myxamatosis? here a couple of years ago and I asked the vet that question, and he said they couldn't catch it from them.

We had that horrible illness in our rabbit population again a month ago and my elderly greyhound picked up a dead rabbit and wouldn't let me catch her - she ate the lot! For a day or two she kept finding bits of dead rabbits (horrible) and eating them, so I kept her on a lead to stop her.

After that horrible story the good news - she didn't catch any horrible illnesses.

Sue
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Myxamatosis is a species specific virus at this time so your dog should be fine
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 05:17 PM
No your dog will be fine, my dogs regularly retrieve myxi Rabbits.
Dawn.
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
No your dog will be fine, my dogs regularly retrieve myxi Rabbits.
Dawn.
I agree. My dogs catch upto 20 rabbits a week, 50% of which may have mixie. They've had no ill effects yet.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone