Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 09:46 PM

stray cat

Does anyone know how to gain the trust of a stray cat. I've been feeding the same cat for about 5 years now but was born in the area and he/she is quite old maybe 8 or 9 but still doesn't trust me (i haven't even touched it) it comes within 2ft beside me but any movement its off, i thought it might have been used to me now but no its so frustrating. Also its eye is sticky looking slightly closed and sort of leaking white stuff this has only started happening in the last few months, anyone know what it could be and anything i could give it that might help, i already worm her/him and give her/him flea tablets for a bit of relief because i cant get anywhere near for a spot-on treatment. I know i should get someone to rescue it but i couldn't bear it because he/she has lived here so long and used to everything and happily goes about doing her/his own thing that it would trumatise her.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
You need to weight up a brief trauma of being caught, treated, and released, with the possibility of long term suffering and pain.

I would contact your nearest CPL branch and ask if they can help catch her or loan you a trap so that you can get this moglet the help she needs.
You might find that, once caught, a vet may prescribe a course of treatment which would mean her needing to be kept indoors.
During that time, as she is already familiar with you, it could well be that she starts coming around to a domestic setting unless she is out and out feral in which case she would need a quiet room during any treatment time then re-release but I`ll bet she would still keep looking to you for food if my experience of catching and re-releasing ferals is anything to go by.

CPL would not try to take her away as you are prepared to continue looking out for her and have done for so long already, but they may offer to have her spayed if she has`nt already been done, [ feral spay involves disolvable stitches and surgical glue so minimum time in captivity before re-release, often only 24 hours after the op to make sure all is well and that the wound is being left alone ].

Cats are incredibly adaptable and usually cope extremely well under this sort of circumstance provided their carer is understanding of them :smt001
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Have you posted on Catsey ?

As far as ownership goes - if you're feeding 'it' than it really doesn't need to be 'owned' as the cat probably has an OK life on it's own.

As for it's health, do a food trap. Do you have a shed or a big box that you can use ?

Obviously putting to rescue is free but if you can afford it, get it to the vet, get the eye checked, find out if it's neutered/spayed, bring it back home and release.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys for the info i will look into this and have a look on catsey.