Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:34 AM

See-Saw and Dog Walk Problems

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions or is it just give it time?

I am sure most dogs (possibly?) go through this after our initial success of the introduction of the see-saw where Max could not get enough of it - a few weeks later the dog walk was introduced and we went back to square one as it he had never been on the dog walk in his life!

Well slowly over the weeks confidence is growing again but he still refuses to go on it unaided - same for the see-saw.

Probably been about a month or so now and as said he is getting better but if we go over a jump and the next obstacle is the dog walk he will put a paw on then get off and I have to hold his collar to complete - once at the top of the first ramp he is fin - am sure it is just the fact that he expects it to tilt like the seesaw?

He gets lots of praise and treats for completing both see-saw and dog-walk - I am pleased with him and just wondered if anyone had any more tips really?

We only do for fun and don't compete but he was such a star before the see-saw came along!

He still needs support on the see-saw and it is still held on the tilt but he is worse on the dog walk which surprises me?

He did have a few problems with the a-frame as well but he has forgotten that!

Overall he is doing really well and LOVES it all! His tail does not stop and now and again he gets some speed going too

Thanks for any tips

Rach
xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:24 AM
At our club if a dog has problems with the dog walk, they are switched to walking on a plank on the ground till they`re happy with it. Dogs don`t really register heights, so it`s probably the walk he has a difficulty with, rather than the distance off the ground.
I find it helps to encourage my dogs to overcome all sorts of other obstacles when out - park benches, fallen trees etc.- as it helps their confidence.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for that - but the funny thing was he was fine for 6 months on it - and only after the see-saw was introduced did he start having any trouble with it.

You are right it isn't the distance from the ground as once he is at the top he will walk along the top and back down very happily! It is just the getting on and past the halfway mark of the up bit - if that makes sense. So am not sure that walking on a plank on the ground will help?

Will try and encourage him out on walks to walk across fallen trees etc.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 03:43 PM
In class we usually go back to the beginning and use lots of treats up the first bit of the dog walk to encourage them up, and just take it slowly.

Luckily Jaz didn't do this, and I think it might be because I use different commands for the see-saw and the dog walk...but who knows!
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Have a handful of treats ready for when you get to the dogwalk, lure him to put both front feet up, give a treat, lure him a bit further, treat etc etc.. Try not to hold on to his collar at all, it is much better that he makes the decission himself, to step up there, helped by the bribe of something nice.
If you only treat him when he has completed the dogwalk, you are effectively treating him for getting OFF it, not on
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 06:58 PM
We had a very similar problem with Jack, he got frightened on the see-saw, and was then afraid of the dog walk, apart from big, huge over the top praise, Chris used to sit Jack near, but not in the way of the dog walk and see-saw so he could watch the other dogs go over it without problems, and he soon got back on the dog walk, but the see-saw was a different matter, it's taken him about a year or more to be confident on it, at one stage it took 5 minutes of gentle persuasion to get him over it, both Chris and his trainer had treats, and his trainer (who he adores) put her arm round him and gave him tum ticks and every step was rewarded with big praise and tit bits, now he's absolutly fine with it never give up, I'm sure Max will get it eventually. How high is the dog walk, at our training club they have a lower one about 3ft of the ground for training the new dog on, maybe he's not to sure of the hight of it, just a thought Good luck
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post
In class we usually go back to the beginning and use lots of treats up the first bit of the dog walk to encourage them up, and just take it slowly.

Luckily Jaz didn't do this, and I think it might be because I use different commands for the see-saw and the dog walk...but who knows!
Thanks - sounds like its just time maybe? I too use different commands too - but being a a Setter perhaps he is easily confused LOL!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
Have a handful of treats ready for when you get to the dogwalk, lure him to put both front feet up, give a treat, lure him a bit further, treat etc etc.. Try not to hold on to his collar at all, it is much better that he makes the decission himself, to step up there, helped by the bribe of something nice.
If you only treat him when he has completed the dogwalk, you are effectively treating him for getting OFF it, not on
Well that makes such sense about rewarding more the getting on - and I think you are right he is becoming reliant on me directing him on - I think I will try and get to class early and get some practice in with him making the decision to 'get on' - might take my clicker along too! As I say once he is on and past the halfway up ramp he happily goes on so am sure that it's just the see-saw tilt he is thinking will happen! Daft setter!

Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
We had a very similar problem with Jack, he got frightened on the see-saw, and was then afraid of the dog walk, apart from big, huge over the top praise, Chris used to sit Jack near, but not in the way of the dog walk and see-saw so he could watch the other dogs go over it without problems, and he soon got back on the dog walk, but the see-saw was a different matter, it's taken him about a year or more to be confident on it, at one stage it took 5 minutes of gentle persuasion to get him over it, both Chris and his trainer had treats, and his trainer (who he adores) put her arm round him and gave him tum ticks and every step was rewarded with big praise and tit bits, now he's absolutly fine with it never give up, I'm sure Max will get it eventually. How high is the dog walk, at our training club they have a lower one about 3ft of the ground for training the new dog on, maybe he's not to sure of the hight of it, just a thought Good luck

Glad he isn't totally barmy then and someone has experienced this - time seems to be the main thing then! I don't think its the height Christine? (think that's your name!) as once up the 'up ramp' he happily trots across the top and down! Same on the see-saw - it is the getting on - he will on both put a front foot on then duck off and run past!

He is great on everything else really (for a setter) - his weaves are coming on SLOWLY! and sometimes he misses the tunnels but he has such fun overall - its lovely to watch him!

Thank you to everyone for their advice really is appreciated.
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2008, 04:59 PM
When the see-saw is introduced, the dog will expect the dog walk to vanish from under him, until he learns to differentiate between the two! Dan was petrified of the see saw after he took it too fast and it disappeared from under him. I had to use treats by putting them at a position where when the dog stops to eat the treat, he is on the point that makes it tip, associationg the tipping with a treat and also training him to stop at that tip point. We always use a different word for the see saw and dog walk and 2 years on, he hasn't learnt to differentiate between the two. It helps if you have the equipment at home too!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Agility-mongrel View Post
When the see-saw is introduced, the dog will expect the dog walk to vanish from under him, until he learns to differentiate between the two! Dan was petrified of the see saw after he took it too fast and it disappeared from under him. I had to use treats by putting them at a position where when the dog stops to eat the treat, he is on the point that makes it tip, associationg the tipping with a treat and also training him to stop at that tip point. We always use a different word for the see saw and dog walk and 2 years on, he hasn't learnt to differentiate between the two. It helps if you have the equipment at home too!
I was going to say something much like this, based on my observations of Kali when he was training. As the see-saw began to tilt, it was clear that Kali thought that the ground was moving under him - quite disconcerting for a daft young Border Collie who thought that the most complex thing he ought to be doing was opening his mouth to receive another biscuit!

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >