Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 04:48 PM

Overly Fussy?

I think I've been quite good (careful) with Carys' diet - home cooked stuff etc.

Today I went to a parent & baby group at the Church and they were giving out biscuits and orange squash, which was a lovely, sweet gesture. But I've not given Carys any sugary food or drinks; the only thing she ever has that contains a small amount of sugar are organic Weetabix a few times a week - she has fresh and dried fruit and organic yoghurt for deserts and she has only ever had her milk or water to drink. I've not given her eggs or egg-containing products yet either because I was waiting for her to turn 12 months. I think some biscuits contain eggs?

I politely refused and said she'd just had a big breakfast (which was true). But now I'm wondering if I'm too fussy :smt102 because the other babies (some younger than her 10 months) were eating them and drinking squash.

Carys is extremely energetic, the last thing I want is her hyped up on sugar and E-numbers .
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Whether or not it is fussy or not is beside the point, you are doing what you think is best and thats the only thing that should matter.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Whether or not it is fussy or not is beside the point, you are doing what you think is best and thats the only thing that should matter.
Exactly!!!!!
My god son has never had a sweet in his life (3yrs old now) and he tried some coke and was bouncing for hours...it only confirmed what his mother thought!!!

You do what you thik is best!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Its up to you what you feed your child ...I'd just take her cup with whatever she has in it and a snack of your choice for her to have -that way she still gets to join in
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:10 PM
hiya

i wouldnt worry about it - we have a playgroup at our local centre and they give out water and breadsticks - muc healthier option.

i think you are totally doing the right thing and shouldnt feel bad about stopping her from having sweet stuff - it just gives them a real taste for it - the longer you can keep her on fruit etc the better for her ! ( and you !!)

dani
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys - just wanted to check I'm not being too neurotic
xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 06:02 PM
nope not being neurotic, my son didn't have squash or anything like it until he was much older than her and then only in moderation...now he opts for fresh orange or apple juice and refuses to drink anything with bubbles as he finds them too weird...hoorah.
He doesn't really like sweets,normal milk chocolate is his only real downfall (that and Doritos)...so keep doing what you're doing as ultimately her taste buds will lean towards the healthier options as that is what she knows.
Smile sweetly and say 'shes' got her drink thanks' and 'oh sorry, she'd already started this breadstick' or whatever you choose to give her as a snack...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Carys is your baby and you choose what you give her,not like you were impolite about it.Carry on doing what you think is best for her.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 07:10 PM
You're doing whats best for her so don't feel bad.

They will be under enough pressure when they are older to eat rubbish. The more you train her tastebuds now the better.

My Charlie didn't ever have jars of baby food. I cooked and pureed all his food and froze it in ice cube trays then bagged them up. If we were going out I popped a few different cubes into a tub to take with us with some petit pois. He was veggie (as I was then, I'm not now) and had unsweetened peanut butter on rice cakes, or I mixed tahini in his food. He also loved cottage cheese and prunes.
For snacks I took raisins, rice cakes, breadsticks etc.
I could never bear to see tots in buggies munching on crisps or chocolate, still can't understand why people still do this.

He has never really had fizzy drinks. I just never bought them for him. He has had them but very rarely.

He is now 15 in Sept and has lovely teeth (no fillings) and is a perfect weight. He's nearly as tall as me too, 5'11".
Yes he loves the occassional McD's, but also has eaten escargots, and allsorts from around the world, but his life is not ruled by sweets, etc.

So, you do what you think is right. Your daughter is a poppet and she'll thank you for it when her taste hasn't been ruined, and she can taste whats good for her.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think you're being over fussy at all. There's so much crap in biscuits and squash I'm surprised there's not more kids bouncing off the ceiling

Take Carys some fresh fruit or veg sticks and a drink to the baby group. At least that way she'll still feel as if she's joining in and you'll know what she's getting
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >