View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2006, 02:13 AM

My bitches first season - any tips please?

hiya all
well evie our ckcs is having her first season & wow is she depressed. she is now 8 months old & being totally novice we don't have a clue what to expect. had dogs before but never bitches. she is eating more as well. what we are more worried about is how much we have to watch her when on walks, she is always on lead as we know she will chase anything.
also she has got very touchy with noises, she has started barking more than ever at the moment, is this also another symphtom (sp) of her season ??
she has also started humping the kids when they playing with her, something she has never done before kids think it is really funny thou & youngest son keeps asking when she gona have babies lol
any advice greatly appriated
thanks trace
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Mood swings and behavioural changes are normal

The season will last 21-23 days but, to be on the safe side she should have no contact whatsoever with intact male dogs for four weeks. Do not let her into the garden unless you can go with her and supervise her all the time. Never let her off lead during a season. Avoid walking where you may encounter males. When going for a walk it is a good idea to either carry or drive the bitch a distance from your home so that she will not leave a scent trail.

I would recommend that you read 'The Book of the Bitch' by J.M. Evans & Kay White. It will tell you everything you need to know about bitch management
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2006, 02:24 AM
hi
i've gota say, i noticed the first sign of blood on friday afternoon, but only on her after 1 of the girls had been humped by evie. thats why i checked lol
been lucky so far as not had to clean any up any messes. needless to say i've not put my cushion covers back on just in case as i've just washed them lol
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2006, 02:33 AM
thanks shadowboxer
we're lucky that our garden is totally fenced in, althou we do still watch her just in case.
will try to find that book as well

thanks trace
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 02:48 AM
My Dusty is having her second season now at 13 months. Like has been said, we ALWAYS watch her, we take her out seperately (as the other 2 are let off lead but she is obviously kept on), and we carry her a distance from the house so she doesn't leave a scent, that is very good advice already given to you by SB, and it works really well.

Dusty is very moody and clingy too, but I get like that at my time of the month so I understand her totally We have both sat watching weepy movies together all week!

Good luck anyway with her, i'm sure you will be fine
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 05:47 AM
i have 5 cavaliers and 1 of mine gets moody around her time ......all is quite normal
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2006, 01:49 PM
thanks for the replys, feel better now. although i bet the neighbours think i've gone loopy when they see me carrying her from the front door lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi Trace
she has also started humping the kids when they playing with her, something she has never done before kids think it is really funny thou & youngest son keeps asking when she gona have babies lol
any advice greatly appriated
thanks trace
Try to discourage your children from laughing or showing they find this behaviour 'funny' otherwise you will be encouraging unwanted behaviour that may continue after the season ends. The best thing for your children to do is to turn away and ignore the unwanted behaviour .
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2006, 11:29 PM
hiya all
right, this week there is more bleeding is this normal ??. not to worried bout mess anywhere as we have wooden floors & a leather couch. started to carry her when we take her out now as well. thinking of getting her some doggy pads tomorrow cos kids have started to complain bout the blood. she also seens a bit more mopey today is this a sign that she wants to mate ??
thanks all
trace & evie
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Normally the blood dies down to a pinky/straw watery colour and her vulva swells even more when she's ready to mate, this would make her day 9(ish) so she is nearly though, just keep a really close eye on her now, one of my girls always goes to stud on day 9!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >