Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Does anyone keep pigs?

Hubby and I are debating whether to get a couple of weaners later on this year. He has had pigs in the past and as much as the meat is absolutely delicious, I am afraid that I am likely to get far too attached to them and end up with pigs for life!

I would be interested to hear of others experiences, as I have heard on numerous occasions that pigs are very affectionate and quite dog-like in a lot of ways.
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2010, 12:35 AM
We had 2 pigs when I was very young. Not for eating though! They were our other dogs I was so young though, I can't remember much.

Definately dog like. They must've made an impact on me because I can't eat pork because of them lol.

Infact since I met some lambs a few years ago, I can't eat lamb either, they are VERY puppy-like!

Maybe I'm becoming a veggie, one animal at a time! Lol
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 12:53 AM
I hope one day to have a few animals
and today I was thinking about pigs
But I have seen to much on people clicker training them and there even was a thing on the other night where a ladies pet pig saved her life when she collapsed by going out and stopping traffic then leading a guy back to her owner
Dont think I could raise them to eat them but I wonder about raising rare breeds to sell on - and having my own little pack of agility pigs
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 01:29 AM
They are lovely, I've not had my own but have looked after them. One of them (massive fat Berkshire sow, more tank than pig ) would roll over to have her belly rubbed. Though as much as I loved them it didn't put me off my bacon! And of course one they've been slaughtered you're left with a nicely churned up fertile patch of land where they were kept. If you didn't fancy eating them in the end, they can be housetrained...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 11:26 AM
They are highly intelligent and from what I've read, can be very affectionate, although I believe some breeds are more affectionate than others.

I think it will also depend on how much you interact with them. My friend's uncle used to keep a small holding with pigs, but they were very much 'stock'. They were well cared for, but he didn't really talk to them/pet them etc and because of this, they didn't seem that affectionate/smart.
I think if they are to be kept as stock, I'd have to treat them like that as well, otherwise they'd end up as pets.

I suppose though that you could get attached to the sow and just distance yourself from the piglets, but I'm not even sure how long pigs live and how old they are before its not right to breed from them anymore?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I would love to have some pigs! OH and I want to become more self sufficient, so I will be looking into keeping pigs! (Once I've convinced the man that owns my house and the farm that it is a good idea, and to find me somewhere to put them!!)

Will be watching this thread!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 03:53 PM
OH had Old Spots in the past and while the first three were quite anti-social and even quite aggressive, the last two were incredibly friendly and loveable. I think even OH found it difficult to part with them.

I am going to have to have a long hard think about it between now and the back end of the year when we will make the decision.

The plus side is that we know how well they will be reared, cared for and humanely they will eventually be slaughtered. But that is easy to say ... and difficult to do!

I am such an old softie!

We have also been talking about having a house cow (a Jersey) for ages and ages, but I am worried we will be too tied to having to milk her twice a day. So, it may be on the backburner for another while yet.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I suppose though that you could get attached to the sow and just distance yourself from the piglets, but I'm not even sure how long pigs live and how old they are before its not right to breed from them anymore?
If raising pigs for meat we would buy a couple of weaners (approx 8-12 weeks) and then they are raised and fed up for about six months and then the deed is done

Also, something to bear in mind, if you are a new to pigs, remember to make sure you register with Animal Health in your area as a pig keeper. You need to keep records and movement documents etc.

Also be careful of cross compliance issues if they are kept on land which has Single Farm Payment on it.

More info can be found by contacting your local Animal Health office.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalhealth/
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2010, 11:39 AM
When I was very young we lived next door to a guy who kept pigs, and I used to go and play with them, they were like puppies when they were little, I even watched some being born and held them straight away.I used to get a old washing up bottle and fill it with water and the pigs used to line up for me to give them a drinkI used to squirt it along the line and they would stand with their mouths open! Its not suprising I became a vegetarian from an early age, and still am now,I would love to keep some minature pigs as pets in the future if we had some land.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I'd like a few pigs, don't know what for though lol, I'd like some pet Kune kune's they are lovely, and unsurprisgnly from their history very people friendly, I'd also like to have a small holding with saddle backs, I read a story when I was little, and have been im awe of them ever since mind you I'd also have chickens there Cotswold leg bars for egg layers, thats a must and jersey cows and highlands too. Sorry thinking out loud there one day I will have a small holding and live off that, just got to decide what type of sheep (like southdowns though lol) and chickens for meat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >