Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 08:56 AM
What a tradegy all round
Well done on all you did. Poor dog and poor child. Both have paid a terrible price for the owners ignorance and inability.
Becky
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 09:00 AM
It must have been so scary for everyone. Its no wonder the woman panicked. I talked to a class before the holidays about what to if they met a dog they didn't know and felt threatened by. The awful thing was none of them knew to stand still. They all said they'd run away.
We definitely need to educate people better. I wonder if it would be worthwhile having some advice on here. People do come looking for information, though its the owners who don't want to learn who're the trouble.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 09:10 AM
The KC run the Safe and Sound with Dogs scheme so maybe we all ought to go into schools and teach the kids?
Becky
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I was having nightmares worrying last night. So sad that the dog was pts so quickly, such a shame, if olnly ....

Hope you and FS and Pat are ok now.

Elaine xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Unfortunately the owner is very drunk, but he came here shouting his mouth off about the dog, he says (I quote)

OK I hold my hands up.
But Pitbulls are untrainable and they can only kill

I said ''Please go away I don;t wish to listen, if you knew this then why have him, because now he is sentenced to death, all because you bought him''

Owner said..........think you can train him, you have him, I hate it....why didn't you kill it

I asked 'did you have him from a pup'

Ownber Yes

Me....so why not train him instead of leaving him..also BTW he has no collar on'

Owner.....you think you can train him from a pup

Me......Love I could train YOU to jump through hoops if I had you from young.

Owner spouted abuse so we shut the door.

Sadly child and dog suffer once again.
Hi Stephanie, as we all know there are many people around who should never own a dog of any kind .

The balance is redressed a little by selfless and quick thinking people like Pat and yourself. It must have been a horrible and frightening experience for both of you but thank goodness you were there to avert what could have been even more serious consequences for the litte girl.
That poor dog must have a pretty miserable existence, at least it is safe now ..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
What a horrific episode. Well done you for managing to make it so much better than it could have been.

I hope the kid recovers but I would imagine she will be frightened of dogs for a very long time now.

So sad.

rune
It's a shame that thier culture are afraid of dogs to the extent that the parents teach them to run....dogs enjoy the thrill of the chase. I thought last night on reflect tugging and pulling, hitting and screaming actually made ''a interesting thrill'' for the dog, he was very hyped and ''locked in'' I think this will just make them tell thier children to ''run faster'' to be honest
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
horrendous for all concerned.

poor child and poor dog.

The "owner" well cant say anything about him that is printable.

well done YS Pat and FS !! your all heroes.
I knew Danni owning a ex fighting dog (in the past) would one day come in useful, as you are fully aware yourself the more hyped the more damage done.
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
What a tradegy all round
Well done on all you did. Poor dog and poor child. Both have paid a terrible price for the owners ignorance and inability.
Becky
Indeed they have, indeed they have
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
It must have been so scary for everyone. Its no wonder the woman panicked. I talked to a class before the holidays about what to if they met a dog they didn't know and felt threatened by. The awful thing was none of them knew to stand still. They all said they'd run away.
We definitely need to educate people better. I wonder if it would be worthwhile having some advice on here. People do come looking for information, though its the owners who don't want to learn who're the trouble.
I think that is a brill idea, whether you could educate the people who live next door, to educate thier children is another matter though, I have witnessed them in the past when a dog is near telling them to RUN
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The KC run the Safe and Sound with Dogs scheme so maybe we all ought to go into schools and teach the kids?
Becky
I might mention this to our FS's school, it is worth it.
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I was having nightmares worrying last night. So sad that the dog was pts so quickly, such a shame, if olnly ....

Hope you and FS and Pat are ok now.

Elaine xxx
Everyone is fine, although FS got up in the night, said he thought the dog was after him..........but once reassured he went back off.
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Stephanie, as we all know there are many people around who should never own a dog of any kind .

The balance is redressed a little by selfless and quick thinking people like Pat and yourself. It must have been a horrible and frightening experience for both of you but thank goodness you were there to avert what could have been even more serious consequences for the litte girl.
That poor dog must have a pretty miserable existence, at least it is safe now ..

I think it must, it shook me up I can tell you, but I was so concerned that no-one was listening, all running up and down with grates, bins and sticks, trying to hit it, really didn't help, it really didn't.........and the more I shouted ''GET AWAY NOW'' and the more I shouted to the woman ''STAND STILL LET THE CHILD GO'' the more I had to shout before anyone listened.........I woke today with a sore throat
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 11:30 AM
That is absolutely horrific.

If the story gets into the national press it'll probably totally undo all the work people have been doing to save Bruce in NI.

I know I've banged on about this before, but it's probably not to do with the culture that they're scared. That'll just be the family. You know how it is when a mother is frightened of dogs and passes it to her children. Hindus/muslims see dogs as 'unclean' so they don't touch them. It's not they are frightened of them. Obviously this awful awful attack will have made them all so much more frightened as well.

I hope the little girl is ok, and massive kudos to you and your partner for saving that little girl's life.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 11:33 AM
OMG Steph. Well done to you, Pat and your foster son for tinking so quickly. What a shame it has happened at all. What a traumatic experience for all involved. xx
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I think you all were so brave and because of it certainly saved this childs life.

An owners test would be wonderful. I see this happening all too often even with Pits who have lived in loving homes since a pup. I don't know what should be done.

That poor dear child.. and yes the dog is in a better place.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Hats off to you lot, especially FS for remembering what you taught him. This is quite unbelievable, such a horrific scene will probably live with you forever now Steph I hope the girl will be ok now that she's been treated, but of course, mentally, she will be scarred for life I would have thought.

The worrying thing for me is.............. will he be getting another one?????!!! Drunk???? Oh dear, it doesn't look good from where I'm sitting. There must have been a reason he got this type of dog in the first place, so there's no reason to think he won't be getting another one when all this has died down. Hopefully I'm wrong, very wrong

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't make the news by the time the police have filled in all their forms either. I have nothing to say about the dog, I've watched an attack filmed on that Sky channel (Reality tv?) and even that's stuck in my mind forever, let alone witnessing one first hand like you did! My God you kept your cool didn't you, I'd have gone headless chicken with all that going on, I don't think I could have been as brave and straighthinking as you all were that's for sure, you have my utmost admiration for that.
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »