Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 12:54 PM

What works for you and your dogs....

The dreaded bonfire weekend is well under way

Just wondering what works for you and your dogs and what you have tried and will never do again!

Philly is fine, he really couldnt care less but this time of year is hell for our little Paris. Last night she found a hiding place. We ended up putting her bed under the computer desk in our tiny study room as thats the only place she wanted to be She wont go outside for a pee before bed and getting her to go for a walk has been difficult since last week sometime.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Aww Bless Poor Paris......

I don't really do anything, just close the curtains and have the TV up a bit louder than normal. He did bark a few times, but I just carry on as normal, and he soon settles down.

I hope you can come up with something to help Paris, Bless her x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear your little Paris was terrified I am sooooo fortunate. We live in the countryside and don't hear a single bang or see a single firework, so the dogs are fine. My dogs are actually not scared of fireworks, thunder, gunshot etc, but some of my hubby's working collies are. We do have a small firework selection box in the cupboard that hubby considered bringing out for the children to enjoy, but I talked him out of it.

I think fireworks should only be allowed at organised displays and not for private use at all. At least that would help with fireworks only being set off on bonfire night and no other time.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Aww Bless Poor Paris......

I don't really do anything, just close the curtains and have the TV up a bit louder than normal. He did bark a few times, but I just carry on as normal, and he soon settles down.

I hope you can come up with something to help Paris, Bless her x
It sounds like your doggy isnt too bothered like our Philly.

We try to be as normal as possible around Paris so she doesnt feel like we are worried too. She seemed a little happier now she has found her den under the desk.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry to hear your little Paris was terrified I am sooooo fortunate. We live in the countryside and don't hear a single bang or see a single firework, so the dogs are fine. My dogs are actually not scared of fireworks, thunder, gunshot etc, but some of my hubby's working collies are. We do have a small firework selection box in the cupboard that hubby considered bringing out for the children to enjoy, but I talked him out of it.

I think fireworks should only be allowed at organised displays and not for private use at all. At least that would help with fireworks only being set off on bonfire night and no other time.
We will send Paris to you for her holidays next bonfire night

I completely agree, fireworks should only be at organised displays. I think this would stop people hurting themselves and mean that it was one or two nights instead of every night for 2 weeks Paris would like a complete ban
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Wretched firworks Turning tv volume up and closing curtains has worked here so far too. Am sorry Paris is upset with them, there's a post about some tablets that have worked. Hope you find something to help her x
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I turn the TV up too. It was worse last night than on the 5th!!
I got caught out last night. I took them out yesterday afternoon as they were desperate for a walk. Took Jenny, Otis and Bessie out first followed by Danny and Guinness about an hour later. It was just going darker and we were nearly home when someone decided to start their fireworks early!!! Poor Danny and Guinness jumped out of their skins!! I've never run home so fast in my life.
I thought we were safe as I (stupidly! ) presumed that fireworks are better in the dark!! hence why I went out early before they started.
Also had a few poos in the house as they wouldn't go out in the yard to poo! I hate bonfire night!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Bella was frantic on friday night but a bit more settled last night , took them for an early walk , had an early carb loaded meal so they were tired and they snoozed most of the evening , Tom is not bothered at all but poor Bella is such a wuss I knew she would react , I know the advice is not to fuss and pamper them as it re-enforces there is something to be fearful of but for me if sitting on my lap calms Bella down then thats the plan ! Hope yours a re ok tonight ! Big display near us tonite so lets see what happens hmm ...
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Wretched firworks Turning tv volume up and closing curtains has worked here so far too. Am sorry Paris is upset with them, there's a post about some tablets that have worked. Hope you find something to help her x
Will certainly have to consider it for next year. She seems worse this year than last

Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I turn the TV up too. It was worse last night than on the 5th!!
I got caught out last night. I took them out yesterday afternoon as they were desperate for a walk. Took Jenny, Otis and Bessie out first followed by Danny and Guinness about an hour later. It was just going darker and we were nearly home when someone decided to start their fireworks early!!! Poor Danny and Guinness jumped out of their skins!! I've never run home so fast in my life.
I thought we were safe as I (stupidly! ) presumed that fireworks are better in the dark!! hence why I went out early before they started.
Also had a few poos in the house as they wouldn't go out in the yard to poo! I hate bonfire night!
Oh dear! We have been caught out in the week. We work shifts so the dogs get a walk in the morning but their evening walk is usually in the dark. We tried to keep calm and just make our way home so she wouldnt panic any more than she already was. Its horrible seeing them so upset isnt it.

Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Bella was frantic on friday night but a bit more settled last night , took them for an early walk , had an early carb loaded meal so they were tired and they snoozed most of the evening , Tom is not bothered at all but poor Bella is such a wuss I knew she would react , I know the advice is not to fuss and pamper them as it re-enforces there is something to be fearful of but for me if sitting on my lap calms Bella down then thats the plan ! Hope yours a re ok tonight ! Big display near us tonite so lets see what happens hmm ...
All the advice says not to pamper them but its heart breaking isnt it, knowing they are so upset. Paris had her bed pulled up to the sofa so she was close to us and OH could fuss her while we were watching tv on friday.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 01:47 PM
We build Mollie a little den in the living room and let her into the bedroom so she can go under the bed. Also we out down newspaper in the hallway so she doesn't have to worry about going outside.
Then we as far as possible ignore her as making a fuss of her seems to make her worse.

Duncan ignores it all and doesn't even flinch when they go off nearby if we didn't know better we would think he was deaf !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >