View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I think the kennel staff would make a big fuss of her and she would be fine. Frankie was only about 6 months when he went into kennels but he was with the other 2 and he was fine.
This is the one I use http://www.londonandessex.demon.co.uk/index.htm

it's obviously no use to you because of the distance but it might give you an idea about what to look for. It took me a lot of searching to find it but their great so it was well worth the effort.

where's Dawn she'll tell you what to look for?

the link to Dawn's article http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=13521
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Sorry folks Im here now

4 months is not too young to board a dog, however there are a few considerations. Firstly and I feel quite importantly, the house training you have done will most likely go out of the window, and any other types of training you have done will obviously not be continued. Kennels are fine for puppies, they usually do very well, gain confidence in the presence of strangers and strange dogs, and often are more outgoing and bold when they go home.

Check out the kennels carefully, look at the article I wrote it explains all you will need to ask and know. If you have any questions, just ask
Dawn.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi ya, i meant a pet sitter that takes your dog into their home for your holiday that way house training can continue, if you want any contact numbers im sure i can find some for you.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 05:29 PM
If you are considering a pet sitter please be aware that your dog is NOT covered on ANY of their insurance. Your dog will be in a strange house, with strange people and if it is injured, escapes, or worse gets killed, they will be held in NO WAY responsible for it!!!! and believe me it happens!
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Thank you Wendy for your very kind offer. I would very much prefer to have one of my friends look after Willow. But l don't have one that l could ask as they either have enough to cope with or they don't really like dogs.

You may be right about the 6 months old for Kennels Jack this is some think l will have to make enquiries about.

Sorry just found Madisons and Dawns & Troubles messages.
Thank you very much for your advice which is very much appreciated. One of my concerns about kennels was toilet training because Willow is very good and l wonder if she might get very distressed if she messes in her pen. I had not given insurance a thought so thanks for that too.

Thank you for the offer of phone numbers Madison l will get back to you later if l need too. Thanks for the links Trouble l am going onto Dawns as soon as l have finished here. Rosie
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Thank you Dawn for the very useful article on dog kennels
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
No problem. Dont worry about stress and messing in her pen. Most dogs will wee in their kennel if they need to, thats not a stressed dog, just one that needs a pee, and puppies more so than the adults.
Dawn.
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Just wanted to update you all.

I have booked Willow into Kennels today. When l started looking l was surprised how many there were quite local to me.

I visited 2 today with out warning as l did not have their phone numbers. Both were very clean and no nasty smells. The dogs looked happy which l thought was a good sign.
The one wanted Willow to have the kennel cough but the didn't. That gave me cause for concern! One had a kennel with a run outside the other was just a covered run with a dog bed.

Willow is going to the one with the run as l think it might enable Willow to stay clean. This Kennel required Willow to have Kennel Cough which l think is better because it will protect Willow just in case. Willow can take her cage which will help her settle and l am supplying my own food which is taken into consideration in the price. The other Kennels didn't want to use the cage and l would not be allowed to use my own food. The one she is going to mentioned taking some of her toys as well. So l think l have made the right choice.

Thanks for all your help and advice it was very much appreciated. Rosie
mosie.mander-_@
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello, l thought l would give you an update on Willow going into Kennels. As you said Dawn, Willow was fine l actually collected her earlier than predicted. That didn't cause any probs and she was happy and had been well cared for. I will be using the kennels again in the future if I need too.

I did have mess in the house again as was expected, but only for a couple of times until she got back into the routine again.

Just wanted to thank you all for your help again. Your support helped me a lot.
Rosie
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Wouldnt the breeder have the puppy back while you are on holiday?

In my opinion, your pup is far too young to go into kennels
I'd ask the breeder or ask her if she knows of a friend who would foster her whilst your away. She is a bit young for kennels in my opinion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >