Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2004, 07:06 AM

Talking of danger

Talking of the danger of unattended dogs wearing collars I would like to add a different warning.

Please do not throw sticks for your dogs, doing so can maim or kill, also discourage the dog from finding it’s own stick to play with, always use a suitable dog toy for throw or pull games.

Any other dangerous things you can think of that we see being done everyday, may be a warning could save the life of a dog and a good deal or sadness and pain, bad enough loosing a pet but to know you could have done something to avoid it is far worse. So let us know things you have know or think may be best avoided.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2004, 08:03 AM
There is a letter in the Nov. 2004 issue of the Boxer Quarterly warning of the danger of children's combat nets and football nets. Two puppies have died because of these nets. One became entagled and hung herself, the other became entangled and throttled to death. It is hard to supervise puppies every second of the day - and death can occur so very quickly. It behoves owners to be aware of every possible danger.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2004, 08:14 AM
From experience I always use frisbees or jute tugs when playing with the dogs, I know a lady whose sisters dog ended up with a stick lodged in his throat after she threw it for him, its a long story but basically after some costly vetinary treatment he was okay but it always stuck with me.

Thats awful about those puppies, your right though about it being difficult to supervise them all the time but anything that can highlight possible dangers or bring attention to something you may not have thought about is always useful.

Laura
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2004, 12:56 PM
yes we learned very quickly about goal nets when we got max in june we had two large goals in the garden and after maxs arrival they lasted about 2 hours i think when he continuousley ran into them and got stuck. we were with him obviousley as he was brand new but i dread to think what could of happened. he didnt learn so we put them in the garage. i think they can go back out next summer cos his head wouldnt fit through now
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't ever throw sticks for my dogs and discourage others from doing the same.

Have a look at this site if anyone is in any doubt

http://www.colliecorner.com/stick-to-toys/
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2004, 02:08 PM
OMG!!! That sooooo sad
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Plastic bags!

Electrical Appliance Wires!

Bleached Mops!

Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Clicked on the link, guess my lot will never be chasing any more sticks again. Thanks for the link wolfie quite a eye opener and thanks for bringing this to everyones attention Thordell.
jimmdi
Dogsey Junior

07-12-2004, 03:44 PM
We have'nt got any sticks left in our garden. Sonnie has eaten all the plants
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jackie
Gus is a sod for sticks too but Ive heard a few horror stories about accidents and injuries caused by sticks.

Was talking to a lady a while ago on our local walk who said she lost a staffy at 13 months- she'd thrown a ball and when the dog dived after the ball she'd landed funny and actually broken her neck That was a while ago and she was still gutted about it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >