Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Hiya Laura,
Yes I aggree with you... I dont think it will change much - although loads of people said it might take the edge of it.. including out vet and as we would not be breeding from him - we may as well try it..
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes I agree if your not using him for breeding and you feel its the right thing to do then have him done BUT dont always believe what the vet says quite often (in my opinion) they will always push spaying/neutering on pet owners given the chance.

Laura
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 04:21 PM
i'll be interested to know how this turns out for u cooper, please keep us updated, as i also have a staffie that is aggressive with some dogs and not others, usually the ones that are scared or smaller than her and also can coincide with dogs on lead.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 04:38 PM
aw cooper you sound like an excellent dog owner and cooper is very lucky to have found you. dont make any rush decisions take your time and see what happens. he doesnt sound as bad as some dogs i have seen so i am sure with the time and help you are giving him you may well be able to turn this round. good luck and keep us posted
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Hello Cooper,

Sorry have only just seen this thread (I'm getting old )

I am pleased you are trying and before getting him castrated see the behaviourist they will help. Also remeber at 1 if ever a dogs is full of hormones and teenage cockiness the 1 is the age.

We have a lady who come to our training class who's dog is muzzled and on two leads a harness and head collar (I think never been near enough to find out, as he goes ballistic if anyone approaches) the dog is an English Springer Spaniel and he is totally totally obsessed with trying to "kill" dogs. He totally ignores his owner and flips over making a funny wierd noise at the same time but he never barks; anyhow it has taken since July (I believe she goes twice a week) but last week he managed walk within 3ft of us all and not lunge once.
So there is hope, but it takes a lot of time.

So good luck Karen
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks Kazz,
Yes Cooper dosnt sound that bad!!!! he is fine with people. We have a harness on him and a collar incase he gets out of the harness and a fabric muzzle which he is getting used to. It was upsetting the 1st time I put it on him - we walked down a busy high street to the pet shop - stopping along the way at various shops. He was being fussed by everyone and he loved it... we got to the pet shop sized him up for a muzzle, put it on and walked back down the same high street - people tutted at us, pulled their kids away, pointed and wispered. I kept my head up high until a little girl said 'mummy, look that dogs nasty' and the mum replied, 'no it isnt, he just dosnt like people - dont touch him' gave us a sympathetic smile and walked off - now that made me cry. But its what you have to do. We even felt like we had to take his bandana off because we didnt want him to look too 'gangster'
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Before you get Cooper castrated please wait until the behaviourist has seen him and has determined what type of aggression he is showing. If it happens to be fear-based aggression castrating him may well make the situation worse.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4