register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
girlsmum
Dogsey Junior

05-12-2004, 08:34 PM

Not sure how to phrase this but...........

I was out walking my three girls today, (gorgeous - but not pedigree - even to the untrained eye!) I came across a woman walking a huge gorgeous dog. I commented on what a gorgeous Irish Wolfhound she had..........'actually it's a Scottish Deerhound' she informed me, I apologised and told her that her dog was gorgeous anyway. Then she said, 'what are yours?' I said 'oh you know - this and that - they are all mixes (rescue dogs), then she said 'I thought so, but i didn't like to say'!!!!!!!

Well that flored me, she wasn't at all rude, but it just flored me because I wasn't sure how to take it, did she think I would be offended if she thought mine were mongrels??

As I have never owned pedigree dogs, could somebody throw some light on this for me? Why did she 'not like to say'?

I love my girls, I also love pedigree dogs, but is there some snobbery I don't know about? am I dead naive?

p.s. I live in sort of a pants area, so it's not like everybody is walking around with mega expensive pedigree dogs or anything.

:smt017
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't know why I've got 2 pedigrees and a mixed breed, and I'm not snobbish (I don't think ).
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:37 PM
some people are snobby gm but dont let it worry you
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Yes snobbery is the answer. We have had several mixes and they were all fantastic dogs but it was the pedigree ones people always commented on being the best. At the moment we have a mix and a pure and it's the pure breed who gets most attention. Makes me mad !
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:39 PM
how pathetic people can be
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
hi sal how r u my msn is broke
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
maybe she just meant she *thought* they were crosses but didnt like to say anything incase they were a pedigree breed shes not come across- hence upsetting you at her thinking they werent a breed when they were does that make sense

then again maybe shes just a snob !!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 08:41 PM
lol lel
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 10:09 PM
yeh very weird. first thing people say when they see indie is 'is she a pedigree'. I used to say 'well no, she doesnt have papers'. and they say 'what are papers'

Or i say shes not kc reg and they dont know what that is either even tho thats what they are asking.

So now i just nod and carry on.lol.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

05-12-2004, 10:15 PM
its like it in all walks of life, snobbery of sorts - its more a refelection on the person than the dogs tho (thank god!)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >