Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Is my puppy lazy? (toilet training)

Have been following SBs advice on toilet training and all has been going well, he knows where he is supposed to go and has been doing so. Obviously we do have the odd accident, but the last two days i have been leaving the back door open all day for him to come and go as he pleases, yesterday no problems at all, today he was laying by my feet and got up peed where he stood and moved to sleep somewhere else. Then just now he came from the back garden into the house and peed right next to me. Is he being lazy or forgetful?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba
i have been leaving the back door open all day for him to come and go as he pleases, yesterday no problems at all, today he was laying by my feet and got up peed where he stood and moved to sleep somewhere else. Then just now he came from the back garden into the house and peed right next to me. Is he being lazy or forgetful?
NO don't leave the door open it's too confusing for him.. He see's that as an extension to the garden.. You have to differentiate the garden and the house .. If he pee's in the house, tuck his tail under to stop him and carry him out to tthe garden let him continue and praise him.. let him out frequently and praise him each time he does it..But then when he's done bring him in and shut the door..
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13
NO don't leave the door open it's too confusing for him.. He see's that as an extension to the garden.. You have to differentiate the garden and the house .. If he pee's in the house, tuck his tail under to stop him and carry him out to tthe garden let him continue and praise him.. let him out frequently and praise him each time he does it..But then when he's done bring him in and shut the door..
Oh right thought that might have something to do with it, thanks louise
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13
Totally agree. Sorry Zuba but it is you being lazy, not the puppy At this stage in his life he needs loads and loads of positive reinforcement if he is to learn what is good and what isn't so good. He needs showing what he should be doing and then praise, praise and more praise. You will get there in the end
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Totally agree with the others here - you have to actually teach him to go, not just leave him to go out as he pleases - that will come later when he's learnt! After meals is always a good time to start, as well as the early mornings and last thing at night. He'll soon learn, when you teach him! (another reason to blame Dogsey methinks! )
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Agree with everyone else, until recently Isla would wee on the back door mat with the door left open, they just need reminding sometimes I think!

I was playing with her and her treat ball last night, when all of a sudden she wee'd in the middle of the floor! Totally my fault as I forgot to take her out when she woke up! But it did make me chuckle, they're just like kids, she got so wrapped up in playing she forgot she needed to pee!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli
Totally agree. Sorry Zuba but it is you being lazy, not the puppy At this stage in his life he needs loads and loads of positive reinforcement if he is to learn what is good and what isn't so good. He needs showing what he should be doing and then praise, praise and more praise. You will get there in the end
Yet again I am blaming DOGSEY
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Lupi has been very good, apart from a couple of setbacks, which I can't blame him for!

One, we have swapped the living room for the bedroom - for two reasons:

1. I have fallen down the stairs quite a few times, due to medication which I have to take all the time - last time I fell (a couple of weeks ago), I was carrying Lupi out to the toilet - which was not the best thing to do as he was about 17 kg. Made sure he was ok, but broke a toe and a bone in my foot!

2. One of our labs is overweight and getting arthritis in her back leg, so we thought it would be easier for her to avoid the stairs.

Since we 'swapped', I do leave the french windows open and he comes and goes to the loo outside. However, although I used training pads when we were upstairs, he now thinks it's ok to sneak upstairs for a wee/poo as he was 'allowed' to do before.

We put the curtains up last night and even though the door was open, he peed on some 'papers/files' I was sorting out during the move. I think he was just confused because he's been on paper before, and probably did not check if the door was open behind the curtains.

Anyway, it wasn't his fault, I was asleep and woke to the sound of 'water' running. Tonight/tomorrow morning it should be less of a problem since the curtain pole fell on my head and I've taken it down for now! At least until my husband returns from birmingham on Friday.

It is confusing for them, being allowed one minute to pee on 'paper' and then not!
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 07:10 AM
I found adding the command 'go and have a wee' really worked for us. Greg was totally house trained at about 14 weeks and hasnt had a accident in the house since. Now when I say ' go and have a wee' he does every time even if its just a dribble! Because me and my OH both work full time we had to use paper when he was really little,while we were out. I started with a big area and then every couple of days taking more and more away until there was none. He would rarely pee on the paper would normally wait until we came in to let him out. To be honest if we hadnt of had to leave him i would never use paper, I think its confusing for them. Anyway good luck it needs lots of work, but ul get there in the end!
Adele x
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I never used paper or any kind of pads.. just straight outside..
I do think it is confusing for them as they are being taught to wee in one place, then after they master that they are being taught to wee in another..

I always advise people straight outside.. or if thats not possible then to crate train..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >