Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2016, 08:09 PM

Dog sitting with host family

Hi all I'm in need of help. I'm going on holiday in June. My friends who normally look after my dog now have their own pup. My girl doesn't tolerate other animals whatsoever I've tried numerous training companies but it just stresses her more. She was bitten by a fellow staffie which I don't think she's ever gotten over. So I am asking if anyone knows of an excellent dog sitter that within a 30 mile radius of Stoke on Trent that I could get in touch with. I don't mind traveling to get somebody that is experienced and trustworthy. Or maybe somebody could point me in the direction of a good company that could match me with a prospective sitter

Many thanks in advance

Lyndsey X
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Lyndsey,
I may know of of someone in Kidsgrove who might be suitable. A lady who takes 'house guests', she was an experienced Aunt, and has no dogs of her own. I will make some further enquiries, then I can post details which you can follow up if you approve.
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2016, 05:53 AM
That would be fantastic thank you so much x
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2016, 08:59 AM
So sorry to have built your hopes Lyndsey, this lady is fully booked through to October. I can't think of anybody else that doesn't have dogs of their own.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Always make sure that they are licensed to take in a dog into a home. This is issued by a local council and they give a notice which has to be displayed in a prominant place.

If they are not licensed the dogs can be removed and the person doing it taken to court if caught boarding (which it is) without one.

They try and get around it by saying different from boarding but in truth that is what they are doing so don't get caught out.

Too many times have I heard of people taking in dogs in their homes and don't even have vet cover. You have a far greater risk of putting a dog in a home environment against a licensed kennels who are inspected every year.

WE had a boarding kennels for 21 years and heard of horrendous house dog sitters with dogs getting out etc.
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Would they have to be licensed if they're booked through a company?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Yes the dog sitter has to be licensed the company does not.

If you look closely at any of their sites and they will say only about insurance and make a big point of it. People using them think that includes a boarding license it does not

it is the actual person that does the sitting need to not only have a home pet sitting license but must display it in a prominant place.

This applies even to home boarding

Licence
Animal boarding establishment licence (England, Wales and Scotland)

An animal boarding establishment is a business that provides accommodation for other people’s dogs or cats.

An animal boarding establishment licence needs to be renewed every year.

You still need to apply for a licence even if you’re only looking after a small number of animals in your own home.

Conditions
The council may inspect your premises before giving you a licence, and any time after your licence is granted.

You’ll need show that the animals you look after are:

kept in suitable accommodation
provided with adequate food, drink and bedding
regularly exercised
safeguarded in an emergency
protected from infectious disease – this includes providing isolation facilities
Your council may also add other conditions to your licence.

Record keeping

You need to keep a register available for inspection by a vet or other council-approved officer, containing:

a description of all the animals you’ve kept
their arrival and departure dates
the name and address of their owners
Restrictions
You will not be given a licence if you’ve been banned from keeping a pet shop, or convicted of any other animal welfare offences.

Fines and penalties
You can be fined up to £500 or imprisoned for up to 3 months, or both, if you run an animal boarding establishment without a licence, or don’t follow the conditions of your licence.

Your licence can be taken away if you stop or delay an inspection, and you could be banned from running an animal boarding establishment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see there are safeguards in the license and conditions which "back street " home boarding can't or won't meet.

use one of these and your dog is at the highest risk at any time in ints life.

There are some that go by the rules and worth checking out.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Lyns your local council says

Link

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/...d=ahzG7Nv37hIe

the first para says

The Animal Boarding Establishments Act covers places which provide accomodation for other peoples dogs and cats, this includes anyone boarding other peoples dogs or cats in their home for a fee. It deals with the areas to be covered by the licence relating to animal welfare and management.

back street home boarding homes the people may even have gone to prison for animal cruelty you don't know and there are no safeguards

so if in doubt contact your local environmental health officer that issues boarding licenses who keep a list of those that have a license
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info. My friend who I trust is having her for me now �� Now I need a dog whisperer so I don't have to worry about future holidays