Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Speachless with anger

It doesnt happen to me often I can tell you.

Walking Benny this morning I got to the end of our street to the main road and Benny likes to cross diagonally because of the flower shop that has things outside (if we walk straight on he trips over things) but this morning at the corner where we normally cross I saw a woman coming toward us pushing her bicycle .

She had a baby on the little seat on the front and running loose around her feet was a small JRT. I decided to wait until they had gone before taking Benny across.

But the dog suddenly shot out into the road straight into the path of the bus.
The bus driver slammed on his brakes and the car behind him managed to stop in time too.
My breakfast was nearly on the pavement by the time the dog popped out unhurt from under the bus and ran back toward its owner. She just screeched at it.
The bus and car moved on and the dog then ran across toward the flower shop.
The girls there made cooing noises and tried to lure it near but it darted back to its owner and then it spotted me and decided to try the same suicide stunt as before and ran straight into the road.
The owner started to cry and moan flapping her hands but by this time I was loosing my temper. I checked the road was clear, marched into the road and with my dog in one hand I scruffed and scooped the JRT up and walked across to where its owner stood ..She then reached into her coat pocket and pulled out its lead!!!!

She shouted at the dog 'and now Ive had enough, just stop it you hear, stop it'
The girls from the flower shop stroked her arm in comfort but I just wanted to belt her.

This idiot was either so stupid or so seflish that she put her dogs life at risk. Plus the risk of the bus and car having a crash, the effect on the bus driver and the car driver plus passengers had they collided. She just didnt give a damn, as long as she didnt have to have her dog on the lead.
I was so angry I couldnt say a word. I handed her dog over and walked away...

Later I was angry with myself for not saying anything..
I just hope she has learned her lesson.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow no wonder you were angry. She is in fact breaking the law not having her dog on a lead on a public highway bet the police would of responded to that complaint as vehicles were nearly involved in a collision.
We have an elderly lady in our village who rides her bike and her little jrt trots along on the pavement. It worries me sick.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2016, 05:56 PM
A few months ago, I was sat in the car waiting for hubby who was doing the shopping (I coulc barely walk at the time) when an elderly guy walked a Lab across the car park without a lead. When they got to the quiet, bus road that runs along the back of the store, the dog darted out into the road. The oncoming coach just managed to stop although the dog did take a small bump on the shoulder.

Owner reaction - shock, but his comment was the usual - I've had him 13 years and 'he's never done that before'

Screamworthy isn't it?
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2016, 02:28 PM
I would really welcome dog ownership tests just to weed out some of the ego-idiots and the un-educated ..Of course the second group could become good owners with a few lessons the first group are hopeless.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Most of these people already know what they are doing is stupid, but it doesn't stop them so I doubt any tests would be of benefit to them.

People take tests before they can drive, but looking at the idiotic driving on most of our roads, they may as well have not have bothered.

People know they should pick up after their dogs, but no amount of testing will get the irresponsible owners to do it - even the Law isn't a deterrent
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Chris I hear what you are saying.. I just wish there was something between the ahhh isnt he cute and the cash exchange...

I once met a woman in a book shop , she had a puppy training book in her hand and I said 'if I can offer advice dont buy that one its useless but if you want it you can have my copy for free'

She replied 'I picked it up because it has a beagle on the cover and I thought it might give me some tips, you see weve bought a beagle and I have heard they can be stubborn and run off a bit....'

Some research before buying might have been the best tip she could have had..But at least she was looking for help I suppose.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2016, 09:23 PM
My goodness no wonder you were angry. I'm surprised you managed to keep quiet.
There is a elderly chap that takes his little yorkie out without a lead, he lives 3 doors down from a busy main rd. When questioned he just says 'I've always walked like this, he never runs off'
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A few months ago, I was sat in the car waiting for hubby who was doing the shopping (I coulc barely walk at the time) when an elderly guy walked a Lab across the car park without a lead. When they got to the quiet, bus road that runs along the back of the store, the dog darted out into the road. The oncoming coach just managed to stop although the dog did take a small bump on the shoulder.

Owner reaction - shock, but his comment was the usual - I've had him 13 years and 'he's never done that before'

Screamworthy isn't it?
Chris: you have hit the nail on the head. This is one of my pet hates - people who think that because their dog is 100% obedient, they can get away with allowing them off lead beside a road - whether busy or quiet. My point is that NO dog is bomb-proof, just like no horse is! The best trained, most heel-hugging collie that ever existed is still capable of a momentary lapse and resort to his instincts and chase a cat or a squirrel that has suddenly run across in front of his nose.

It is absolute madness to walk along a road with a dog off lead, I do not care how obedient they are! It is not fair on the dog and it is not fair on the traffic that may hit them.

Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Similar with us the other day. My big goofy lad on his harness her little dog loose and then she criticises me for not trusting my dog !
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2016, 02:23 PM
you know the worrying thing about that? not only is the person with the bik responsible for a dog but for a human too!!!! Scary!!!!!!
my dad used to walk my old girl along from the field to home with no lead on, it was 10 seconds around the corner...me..never, i loved her too much to even think of letting anything happen to her. The two i have now, well one is a complete bimbo who loves to follow flies, bees birds etc..she would be squished in a heartbeat, at the end of the day, is it really that hard to hold a lead? i walk with crutches and manage fine