View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-10-2012, 06:01 AM
I think it's different for different dogs as well as different situations.

My GSD is toy motivated,loves a game of tug, however I use food for loose leash walking compared to a game of tug for recalling, for example. My Lab X is a walking stomach, so will do anything for food.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 07:02 AM
My springers highest motivator is a squeaky soft latex ball, so I use that for scent work for her to find. It worked as a last resort motivator for the goldie, Jago, when we were filming. For him any ball would do but those pocket easily and discreetly and I used the ones that had lost the squeak.

rune
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Theres alot of thought goes into training from the replies.Its good when we can create desire, I think once desire is there we can then withhold the reward and ask our dogs for a little more. In doing this we drive the value of a reward higher.
At this point I ask my dogs to perform a task to prefection, if its a good try but not good enough, I will deny my dog the reward, keep smiling and say no try again. Ive already taught my dogs the rules so they dont take this as a correction, but do take this as information and try harder. I only ask for perfection when I know the dog fully understands.
I now have a way of communicating to my dogs without lowering motivational drives.
Dave
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I use 'wrong' as a NRM but I know some people don't like using them. You do have to recognise the point of too much frustration and then lower the criteria I think.

rune
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I agree sometimes you have to meet them half way.

Dave
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 03:41 PM
'ah ah' is my 'try again' clue

I'm one of those who believe in giving my dog as much help as I can during training so the NRM is just part and parcel of training
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
The nice thing about the system we have all commented on is its a foundation for all disciplines.
I use this way for training PD manwork, paying attention as Rune says to frustrations needing to be eased.
Working on such high drive exercises the dogs must achieve success regularly to allow clarity of thought.

Dave.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2