Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Lifetime cover insurance

Whats the best insurance for three dogs ?
I would prefer lifetime cover

I got what seemed a great quote from tesco's , £24.00 a month for the three , but its only a 12 month cover ... and the revues for them paying out arent that great
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Petplan just quoted me £18 per month for Dizzy, that is cover for life plus complimentary therapies and all the usual bits. But I'm not sure how that compares.
dolby
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I am also looking for lifetime cover for a GR. Can only find petplan at the mo and just got a quote for £24 for their budget cover for life plan which includes their 10% introductory bonus - seems a bit steep to me. Anyone out their have any recomendations?
dolby
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Found a good article explaining the different types of cover http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006...oneysupplement
Have not managed to find many companies offering full lifetime cover, petplan, and M&S seem to be the main ones.
http://www.whichpetinsurance.co.uk/ is also a good site to help you compare the different companies.
I think I'll be going with M&S as they seem the best cover for the price, although still seems expensive at £20 pm for the premier cover.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Have you tried Virgin? They do life cover!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I am with Virgin be careful though because I queried the lifetime cover with them when looking this year for better quotes.

Virgin will pay out the amount of money your pet is insured for until said amount runs out. Ollie's is £6000 so they will pay out for whatever till it has gone it may be his life time but in such a large dog if he had a life time illness that would not last long then you have to start again and the premiums would more than likely go up, and any other insurer would be expensive because of pre-existing condition.

I did a lot of ringing around and nearly all the Insurance companies are the same or very very expensive for life time cover. I have left Ollie with Virgin as I think it is probably our best option and one we can afford easily.

Beware Tesco and payments on claims my Friends black lab has cancer so far she hasn't received a penny back and they have told her they have a back log of payments to go out so she just has to wait. She is worrying as she does not have an endless pot of money.
hazel pritchard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2009, 06:12 PM
My dogs have life cover with More Than
whippetrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Try the NFU (National Farmer's Union). I have never had a problem with them paying out. They also offer proper lifetime cover. Not every insurance policy is. Some say it is lifetime cover and then after 12 months it becomes an exclusion. NFU covers your dog for life.
whippetrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I would stay away from M&S. When it actually comes to paying out, even on small amounts, they are not very reliable.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
Whats the best insurance for three dogs ?
I would prefer lifetime cover

I got what seemed a great quote from tesco's , £24.00 a month for the three , but its only a 12 month cover ... and the revues for them paying out arent that great
I have to disagree where Tesco are concerned.,

They were excellent with my claim, paid up within a week after the last treatment...in one cheque, £3000!!!

If you want life time cover it is going to cost you more than £24 A month for 3 dogs... I pay around that for one (lifetime cover)

You have to read the small print to see what it covers, some will say lifetime, but even then it usually has a amount included. some will say up to £4000 per condition and that may last for a lifetime.. when you reach the max, it runs out, so best to read the terms and conditions.

But I guess you will be paying from around £20 upwards for each dog for a lifetime cover.