View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I liked the idea of two so they'd have doggy company. However Sam never showed any interest in other dogs. If we were out he'd always go to the humans and ignore other dogs, so we stopped at one. One child and one dog seemed to work very well.
Dale was the opposite he loved playing with other dogs and got on so well with every dog he met so once he was 18 months we got Chip
I'm enjoying having two and seeing them get on so well together, but I still like the times when I'm out with just one. I think the relationship is different if you know what I mean.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I can seriously and honestly say that I must be addicted to Chis. I've never felt like this about any other breed! I don't think I could ever have TOO many. I adore my babes. They are no trouble really. They are all pretty good (but have their naughty moments - like when naughty Fluffs chewed a hole in the toes of my Son's £60 trainers the other day - unfortunately peep toe Nikes are just not in ) but there you go, all part and parcel of dog ownership when the dogs are young. I hope to have many more Chis when the kids are off hand and we are living in that field in the Country Also a big dog (maybe a Rottie, Dogue; something like that, to keep my Chis safe when we are out and about).

As for insurance, don't even go there The good thing, I've been paying it for a couple of years and have never had to claim. Bad thing, it's like a small mortgage and the OH is not best pleased They are worth every penny though
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I've alway had 3 to 4, we're at 3 at the moment, but when Bruce is around 3 number 4 will be got.

I like to wait until the youngest is 2 or over before getting another, I think to many dogs under a certain age is alot (just my opinion) I don;t think you can give the youngest the proper attention ie training etc when you have two or three say under 2. I prefer the older dogs and pup stage think it makes a even balance, plus the pup learns alot from the older ones.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't stop - it is OH who limits me and it is without doubt a good thing.

Got Jodie 12 years ago, Mandy just over 8 when we moved from the flat. It took me a long time - 6 years actually- to get my whippie and involved some very serious wheedling. Now I want another but there is no chance...

I would happily walk in "lots" and never have holidays - my dogs are my life- but I cannot be that selfish.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I have one at the moment but it could very possibly be two soon - we are going to see some dogs on saturday, i am excited but also a little worried (i have butterflies already) about having two !

I have two kids four years apart and they fight all the time but if anyone does anything to either one, the other one will defend them to the hilt.Sibling rivalry is natural. My OH was an only child, i have two brothers. I always think of when we are no longer around - they will have each other.

How do all you chaps with 3 4 or more afford the insurance, it must cost you a fortune !!
The alternative is setting up a bank account in place of insurance and putting some money away each month. Depending on how much you save, that figure can be pretty substantial after a year or two. This way you are not putting money into the insurance companies pockets.

Of course, you have to take each individual dog into account. If you have a dog with various health problems, going down this route probably isn't recommended. If your dog is relatively healthy (in 6 years, we claimed on our insurance once for our current dog) you can save a lot.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
The alternative is setting up a bank account in place of insurance and putting some money away each month. Depending on how much you save, that figure can be pretty substantial after a year or two. This way you are not putting money into the insurance companies pockets.

Of course, you have to take each individual dog into account. If you have a dog with various health problems, going down this route probably isn't recommended. If your dog is relatively healthy (in 6 years, we claimed on our insurance once for our current dog) you can save a lot.
My friend had a healthy dog and had an annual insurance policy (for about £2000 per year) it wasn't lifetime. He was paying about a tenner a month.
Sadly, his dog at 6 developed a brain disease...totally random, not only did it eat the entire £2000 it added that again to the bill and sadly he lost him anyway (despite doing everything he could for him)

Had I put away the £20 a month I pay on insurance (per dog or so) over Biff's life, I would still be out of pocket on what he has cost me at the vet.

Insurance is so very important as you really do not know the moment your dog could become ill/be injured and no one wants to be in the position of not giving their dog treatment because they can't afford it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I have one at the moment but it could very possibly be two soon - we are going to see some dogs on saturday, i am excited but also a little worried (i have butterflies already) about having two !

I have two kids four years apart and they fight all the time but if anyone does anything to either one, the other one will defend them to the hilt.Sibling rivalry is natural. My OH was an only child, i have two brothers. I always think of when we are no longer around - they will have each other.

How do all you chaps with 3 4 or more afford the insurance, it must cost you a fortune !!
I am not going to say anymore on this after this,but suffice to say I know more people that have argued with siblings bitterly after the death of parents than have sought solace with/in each other.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm making up for lost time!

I've wanted a dog all my life but due to circumstances wasn't able to have one until 3 years ago, that's a wait of 40 years! Although Pepper hasn't been the easiest of dogs I love having her, training her, walking her... So I was thinking of another when she was about a year old but I waited until she was 2, and some of the training was starting to pay off, before we added Gozo to the family.

I haven't found having 2 dogs hard work, maybe because Gozo was the opposite to Pepper and very easy to have around.

Gozo is one now and I was starting to think of another for next year when his breeder offered me a puppy for joint ownership. It was an offer I just couldn't refuse so we now have Enzo. Give me a couple of months and I'll let you know what it's like having 3!

I think having just one dog is fine but having more is even more fun! But to be sensible I think it really depends on the individual dogs. Some are happier as only's and some like the company. It also depends on how much time you have for them.

In an ideal world I'll have another 2, a mini poodle for agility and a Finnish Spitz just because I love them! Back in the real world I think I'll try to stick at 3, at least for a while but the best thing about small dogs is that there is always for more, just ask Cheeky Chihuahua!!

J
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Re. insurance - not a problem. You make your choices about what you spend your money on. Designer stuff, hairdos, holidays, plasma screen, wii...or dogs. I choose dogs.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My friend had a healthy dog and had an annual insurance policy (for about £2000 per year) it wasn't lifetime. He was paying about a tenner a month.
Sadly, his dog at 6 developed a brain disease...totally random, not only did it eat the entire £2000 it added that again to the bill and sadly he lost him anyway (despite doing everything he could for him)

Had I put away the £20 a month I pay on insurance (per dog or so) over Biff's life, I would still be out of pocket on what he has cost me at the vet.

Insurance is so very important as you really do not know the moment your dog could become ill/be injured and no one wants to be in the position of not giving their dog treatment because they can't afford it.
I do have insurance - i was just thinking how expensive it must be for people who have multiple dogs

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I am not going to say anymore on this after this,but suffice to say I know more people that have argued with siblings bitterly after the death of parents than have sought solace with/in each other.
You are quite right it can go both ways of course
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >