Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Fair workers and their dogs.

This might upset a few people, as I'm not entirely sure that there isn't on here, but its something that I've never thought about.

But when I've seen fair workers before they often if they have dogs have dogs like Staffies or GSD's, and I've never paid too much attention, but I saw one on Saturday that had a Swedish Vallhund, and it made me wonder, would any breeders sell a dog to a fair worker? Or even rescue peeps? I mean I don't know enough about it, but I do wonder how many breeders would sell their pup to people who work the fair, or whether they would feel that the whole moving around, and business of the fair is too much, I have to say my first thought would be vets, I mean they would probally have to use different ones a lot of the time if anything is needed, and I don't know whether that could cause problems or not, but then I think about people who live in houseboats, sure its calmer there then the fair, and if you would let a dog go to a person on a house boat but not a fair woker is it predujice, and their will probally be set ups for fair workers dogs like their are for people who have dogs and work a lot.

So what do you think, breeders or rescue workers would you rehome or sell a pup to someone who works and travels with their fair, or would it depend entirely upon how much the individual is willing to put into the dog?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:57 AM
most 'fair workers' do have a fixed abode...some only travel the summer months..others go home at night...but tbf their dogs are not meant to be friendly..and woe betide anyone who lets their dogs go up to theirs.

odd to see a vallhund tho
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:58 AM
The fair comes to the town that my shop is in, once a year.
Their dogs are fab....so well looked after, outside playing most of the day, and locked in large kennels when the fair is 'active', and inside the caravans at night with the owners.
They spent pretty much all day with someone, and they are always coming in my shop buying treats!
One of them has an American Bulldog to die for
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Never really thought about it. Interesting subject though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:27 PM
There are many different sorts of homes, just as there are many different sorts of families and lifestyles; one is not necessarily better or worse than another.

Dogs, like chidren, are hugely adaptable and as long as they are loved and well fed and cared for IMHO it does not matter what the lifestyle is.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Considering dogs have been used by nomad tribes quite often around the world (Salukis spring to mind, and tribes that used travois, etc.) I figure fair workers would have a similar habit of 'short stays' (if they are the traveling kind) which the dogs are used to by now.

I never thought travelling with dogs would be stressful for them, I just figured the process of modern travel and the methods we are forced to use is what causes it (airplanes and being in a crate the whole time for example.)

Maybe home is really where the heart is.

As for the whole 'fair lifestyle' for the dog to be around, I admittedly don't know much or what goes on behind the scenes. I just figure some dogs are incredible adaptable and much hardier than people give them credit. As long as they seem healthy and happy then it should be fine...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
Considering dogs have been used by nomad tribes quite often around the world (Salukis spring to mind, and tribes that used travois, etc.) I figure fair workers would have a similar habit of 'short stays' (if they are the traveling kind) which the dogs are used to by now.

I never thought travelling with dogs would be stressful for them, I just figured the process of modern travel and the methods we are forced to use is what causes it (airplanes and being in a crate the whole time for example.)

As for the whole 'fair lifestyle' for the dog to be around, I admittedly don't know much or what goes on behind the scenes. I just figure some dogs are incredible adaptable and much hardier than people give them credit. As long as they seem healthy and happy then it should be fine...
.....they guard the site ,and are........... pets
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
most 'fair workers' do have a fixed abode...some only travel the summer months..others go home at night...but tbf their dogs are not meant to be friendly..and woe betide anyone who lets their dogs go up to theirs.

odd to see a vallhund tho
Thats what I thought, which is why I'm use to seeing certain breeds around the fair, but never a vall,

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
The fair comes to the town that my shop is in, once a year.
Their dogs are fab....so well looked after, outside playing most of the day, and locked in large kennels when the fair is 'active', and inside the caravans at night with the owners.
They spent pretty much all day with someone, and they are always coming in my shop buying treats!
One of them has an American Bulldog to die for
Have to say round here I've never seen any kennels, most the time their tied out, but all seem good weights, I just never get too close to them.

Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Never really thought about it. Interesting subject though.
I haven't either, it wasn't until I saw the Vall that I actually did, as I was surprised to see one there.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
There are many different sorts of homes, just as there are many different sorts of families and lifestyles; one is not necessarily better or worse than another.

Dogs, like chidren, are hugely adaptable and as long as they are loved and well fed and cared for IMHO it does not matter what the lifestyle is.
No it doesn't, I've met the ones in houses that aren't good enough for them but I do wonder whether a breeder or rescue would allow a dog to go to them?

Originally Posted by Cadi View Post

Good post, I have to say I am intrested in this, although have to say no-ones said whether they would let a dog go to such a home yet.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Just because they are on the move all the time doesnt mean the dogs wont be loved and well cared for. If I was a breeder and I was happy that someone would take a pup and give it a good life, well looked after and loved then yes I would let one go to someone in a fair.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Most of the fairs around here are run by 'travellers' so i will say my views on these sorts of people are very biased as i have only run into the bad ones that fall under the heading of 'pikey scumbags'.

So no i wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole! Its also coming from the fact alot of dogs are the fair are kept as guard dogs and i done like dogs being kept in that way.

That being said i know its based on my own prejudice against these people and that there must be some good ones out there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >