Our sister sites
Our sister sites
andrew short
New Member!
Male 

16-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Huskamute

Hi

i will be getting a Huskamute bitch next month when she is 8 weeks old i would like to eventually be able to let my dog off the lead when in secure areas, has any one got any advice on this breed i have read that the Husky causes problems when trying to train to recall is this the same for the Huskamute can anyone advise on techniques.

Thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 04:52 PM
The Huskamute is not a breed its a crossbreed, I do hope you arent paying a lot of money for a crossbreed. May I suggest if either of these breeds are really the type of dog you want, to go to a reputable breeder. If you want to run a dog loose, they perhaps are not the best.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I would keep your options open and don;t set your mind in stone that she will be able to have off lead runs in non-secured areas.

Look for a good training class now - (they get booked up - so get in well in advance)

You are getting a cross between 2 breeds - a Husky and Malamute, so you could get traits from either parent or both.
I have never owned either but worked with a few - however - there are many people with one or the other on here (and a few with the same cross as well) - I do not know of any who let theirs off in non-secured areas - sorry.
andrew short
New Member!
Male 

16-01-2011, 05:00 PM
ok thanks for the reply currently looking at training classes i have 6 weeks yet,

Thanks
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Have a look here
APDT Trainers

Or Check out Obedience UK or the KC site.

I would suggest you go along and watch before you settle on a class...there are some about that are less than desirable
andrew short
New Member!
Male 

16-01-2011, 05:09 PM
thanks for the info they actually have a place less than 30 minutes from me.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 05:17 PM
I generally find Clicker training a recall, from a tiny pup, will "hard wire" it , much better than just calling commands
andrew short
New Member!
Male 

16-01-2011, 05:23 PM
thanks

i will look at this is it effective if you are outside may be the park of beeach?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
thanks

i will look at this is it effective if you are outside may be the park of beeach?
It works very well with many breeds, but the northern types and their crosses often have a very strong prey drive.

If you are 100% wanting a dog who can be allowed off lead in non-enclosed areas I would be seriously considering if you are getting the right type of dog.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
thanks

Yes, ive been very successful with a beagle, husky & Atkita x mal,-all difficul breeds, using this method, aswell as easy breeds.
It is going to need ALOT of hard work from your part & on going training, probaley forever.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >