Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 05:59 PM

high blood pressure

went to docs today for other stuff and he checked my blood pressure. he said it was borderline and i need to go back in a few weeks and get it checked by one of the nurses. it was 134 over 98.

so how high is that???? and what will the docs do to bring it down.

i put it all down to the summer hols.......

sue
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
went to docs today for other stuff and he checked my blood pressure. he said it was borderline and i need to go back in a few weeks and get it checked by one of the nurses. it was 134 over 98.

so how high is that???? and what will the docs do to bring it down.

i put it all down to the summer hols.......

sue
I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2000 and have been medicated for it since then. I had mine tested today and it was 130/80 which she was happy with. It's the bottom number that's the most important so 98 is high but could just be a glitch. Go back as they said and have it re tested.
If it's still high they may give you tablets to regulate it but frankly my tablets have never bothered me for one minute. Don't worry yet though, get the re test first. If you think you get stressed during the day, get your appointment first thing in the morning and see if it makes a difference.
Hope that helps.
xx
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I think Jackie's right 130/80 is the ideal blood pressure and it is the lower number that they tend to look at most (diastolic). That pressure between one beat and the next. I had high blood pressure and was given beta blockers (Atenalol), after my heartattacks. I'm sure your going to be fine, blood pressure does go up considerably if you are anxious about being in the doctors anyway
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
I think Jackie's right 130/80 is the ideal blood pressure and it is the lower number that they tend to look at most (diastolic). That pressure between one beat and the next. I had high blood pressure and was given beta blockers (Atenalol), after my heartattacks. I'm sure your going to be fine, blood pressure does go up considerably if you are anxious about being in the doctors anyway
Yeah, that's what they call the lower number! Atenolol is the most common of the beta blockers but didn't suit me so was changed to another one. Absolutely fine on them though. The doctor says that to me as well, about getting yourself worked up at the doctor. That's why I suggested early am, less time to get anxious.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I had my BP checked as routine a few weeks ago, and for the first time ever it was up. Had to have it checked a week later, back to normal. Could just be a glitch like mine.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 04:47 AM
it was up a while ago too but never got round to going back to gp - never seem to have time but will go back this time as a good girl.

will try and go first thing too as it will give me less time to worry....

have been given beta blockers before for stress and i am allergic as i developed loads of bruises.

thanks for all the advice.

sue
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 06:09 AM
I have white coat high blood pressure, if I have it taken in the doctors surgery it's high, if I do it at home it's normal. Found this out when they put me on medication and I passed out as my BP was too low.

So now, every six months, I have to do a weekend test of my BP at home then take the results into surgery.....thankfully it's been fine.
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
I have awful white coat syndrome!! Im 24 go to the gym 3 times a week and ive seen my BP be as high as 180/100 shocking!! It does go down though they just have to take it a few times!!

It is the bottom number thats important and I think anywhere up to 90 is fine