Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tricia0524
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2013, 11:44 PM

Birds of prey swooping at dogs.

Has anyone ever seen one of these birds swooping at a dog. Today my friend and neighbors dog jumped through her screen door and we were trying to catch him he runs fast and is stubborn. Then all of a sudden a huge bird not sure if it was a Hawk, starting swooping at the dog. He just kept flying, watching and swooping at the dog to try to pick him up. The dog is half dash hound and half chihuahua he weighs about 10 to 15 lbs. this bird had no problem flying right next to us and above us. He just wanted a big meal. We finally caught the dog after about an hour. Thank Goodness because that bird was not giving up. It followed us and was just about a foot above him at 1 point. I hope no one ever has to go through that. It was scary I could not imagine what would have come to her poor little baby ( dog)!!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Oh dear. I've not witnessed it in person but there is a news real here in the UK of the 60's I think where an eagle, I think, escaped from a zoo and attacked an old ladies dog in a London park. The dog got away through because the plucky pensioner whacked it with her big handbag!

I'd be very cautious about letting the dog out in the garden by itself for a good while as the bird will remember where that good source of food is.

Glad the dog got away!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi Our cottage backs on to rural land,we have often seen this siamese walking across the field,one day we were sitting at the window,and saw something swoop on to this cat,the cat stood up on its hind legs raising its paw to bat this bird we think it was a Kite,but the cat stood its ground and the bird gave up.Gemini54
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2013, 04:35 PM
How scary for the dog and you.
I think on doglost a dog was put on it after a dog was picked up by a bird of prey. So sad.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2013, 04:43 PM
The seagulls swoop and attack dogs here. Especially in the breeding season.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2013, 10:50 PM
We were warned when on holiday in North Devon that the black backed gulls could take a chihuahua. My daughter was staying in our holiday cottage with little Gucci, her chi, and we were very careful and kept a weather eye out for his safety on Putsborough beach. All was well, but had it not have been, this is nature - had a black backed gull taken Gucci it would have been awful, but a fact of life. I would have blamed myself for not taking heed of the warning ... not the gull for carrying out his natural instinct.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 01:52 PM
We have an Eagle Owl loose in Inverness somewhere. Apparently it's been attacking people and animals. Not carried one off yet (people or animals) but people are warned to watch out for it.