View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Badger cull: Is Northern Ireland's way better?
BY LINDA STEWART – 29 AUGUST 2013
Full article here:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-29531909.html

Mike Rendell of the NI Badger Group says the penny has dropped in Northern Ireland that bovine TB is a complex problem and there is no quick fix.

He said it would be worthwhile for the English authorities to look at the Northern Ireland model or the Welsh cattle vaccination pilot instead of an indiscriminate cull.
There are many experts who say a 'cull' can make the problem worse. And many other opinions given to suggest it is not badgers infecting cattle it is the other way around.

I know when I lived down in Cornwall there was much argument about 'test areas' because farmers are a 'law unto themselves' and will do what they want to do and this skews the results.

The alternatives to culling

* England – Enhanced cattle controls since January 2013. Pilot badger culls by 'free shooting'. No testing of badgers for TB. Wildlife group vaccination programmes.

* Wales – Government backed badger vaccination programme. No culling.

* Northern Ireland – Enhanced cattle controls since 2002 with 50% fall in TB. No culling but test and vaccinate/remove programme to be piloted.

* Scotland – Enhanced cattle controls. No badger culling. Now declared TB free.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I grew up in a farmer community and have seen how tb can effect farmers. However I am strongly opposed to the cull for the reasons already said in the thread. It just smacks of a way for the tories to placate the NFU and try to win a few farming votes.

The science doesnt back up a cull and the numbers dont either. If we were to have a uk wide cull something like 75% of the uk badger population would be killed. 85% at least do not carry the disease. So straight away thats a lot of perfectly healthy animals that are being killed. So even if we do all that they predict that it would only reduce bTB by 16%!!

Clearly the figures show that there is a lot more to this then badgers. But then hey they still dont even know how the pathogen is passed on but lets just carry out a cull away
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 03:07 PM
The very worst thing that can happen is happening - ie, the cull is going ahead. This will just spread the TB further afield, as it is impossible to kill every single badger, there will always be at least one that will escape the guns ... to flee into pastures new in terror, only to spread the disease even more.

This is what the science proves - but why let science spoil a good opportunity to have a legal excuse to use badgers as a target practice. If they ever try a badger cull around my area, i'll be using some living creatures as target practice but they won't be badgers
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2