Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I thought i had answered this!

No i dont feel guilty buying a pup. All pups & dogs need homes no matter the source
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Do you mean Dali pups or pups in general?
Not many pups of the breeds I am looking at come into rescue, there seems to be plenty of Collie pups coming into rescue
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Not many pups of the breeds I am looking at come into rescue, there seems to be plenty of Collie pups coming into rescue
what you looking for ?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I feel quite guilty about my plans to get my future toller pup

I have my reasons for choosing a breeder. I would like the experience of raising a puppy, and my chosen breed rarely turn up in rescue and almost never as puppies. I want a dog of sound temperament as I want to do many social activities with my dog such as agility, PAT dog etc (good genes don't guarantee but they do help!). I have a host of reasons. I will never ever support BYB's and I hope that I have picked a sound breeder.

However my first two dogs were rescues and I always thought I would only have rescue dogs. I got more than a bit fed up of being rejected by rescues because I work. It got a ridiculous situation and why I ended up getting a private rehome (for my sins ). I was made to feel like an awful owner because I work, and yet I know I spend far more time with my dogs doing productive things than many people who are home all day.

I know I will have rescues again in the future but the next will be a breeder puppy...but I do feel sort of bad about that!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
No i dont feel guilty, its my home and my choice of breed and breeder.

We have a rescue Lurcher and would have another one in a heartbeat but also have two from pups and would love another pup. So its down to your own choices at the end of the day.

I would love a grey one day but am torn between a RGT one and a nice pup from show lines which are seemingly are in deline acording to the KC.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 03:41 PM
How about a 9 year old grey tomorrow---I can sort you out with one! She is lovel, brindle, no good with cats and smalls.

rune
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
How about a 9 year old grey tomorrow---I can sort you out with one! She is lovel, brindle, no good with cats and smalls.

rune
LOL dont temp me i saw a lovely saluki x boy the other day Until we move though 3 dogs is enough for our house (according to the OH anyway)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I feel quite guilty about my plans to get my future toller pup

I have my reasons for choosing a breeder. I would like the experience of raising a puppy, and my chosen breed rarely turn up in rescue and almost never as puppies. I want a dog of sound temperament as I want to do many social activities with my dog such as agility, PAT dog etc (good genes don't guarantee but they do help!). I have a host of reasons. I will never ever support BYB's and I hope that I have picked a sound breeder.

However my first two dogs were rescues and I always thought I would only have rescue dogs. I got more than a bit fed up of being rejected by rescues because I work. It got a ridiculous situation and why I ended up getting a private rehome (for my sins ). I was made to feel like an awful owner because I work, and yet I know I spend far more time with my dogs doing productive things than many people who are home all day.

I know I will have rescues again in the future but the next will be a breeder puppy...but I do feel sort of bad about that!
I don't see why you, of all people, have to feel guilty - were you not out in Vietnam helping bears and brought Moon back from there - spending more money than most people would think about and did you not take on Cain (Although I'm sure he's really delightful and you just tell us horror stories to make us think otherwise ) and turn his life around for the better. If you want a Toller puppy - then so be it, you shouldn't feel any guilt about it..

Sorry saw your post and thought I should tell you off for feeling guilty..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I agree with the above!

rune
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes and no.

So many good points in this thread, and I think it depends on what your wants and more importantly needs are. I don't think it's an easy decision either way as I'm pretty sure all of us here feel the plight of all those dogs in rescues.

On the one hand, absolutely we should help dogs
On the other - why should we make it easy for the B******s who abandon their pets and then take on any problems they created? They get to have what could be considered one of the most pleasant stages of the dogs life (puppyhood) and then discard the dog when it gets older and sometimes leaving others to pick up the pieces. They make my blood boil!

It's difficult because the dogs are stuck in the middle through no fault of their own.

One thing I do know, we need to do more to make sure we're not in this situation to begin with. It shouldn't be easy for people to discard their pets - the commitment should be lifelong - as it is with children. And if they let their pets get pregnant the commitment should follow through to the pups, it's their dog, their responsibility.
Page 10 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »