21-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Eating grass

Why do some dogs eat grass?
Is there any harm in doing this?
thedogs
New Member!
Male 

21-01-2011, 10:46 AM
im not an expert but im pretty sure it doesnt do any harm i think its just a way of flushing the system so to speak my two eat grass all the time but i could be wrong
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Dogs gather vital phytonutrients from ingesting herbage and grasses etc.

At certain times of the year young crop for example is extremely sweet and other herbs have medicinal effects.

Some dogs also ingest grass to trigger upchucking ( a bit like us sticking two fingers down our throat).

Eating grass is normal.

Care must be taken in certain locations re weedkillers, fertilisers etc though.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Oddly enough Ozzy always used to eat grass but since I changed him onto Orijen food he has stopped doing it completely Which leads me to think he was doing it to get nutrients which his old food wasn't giving him but the Orijen is
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I was reading about this ages ago - apparently no one for sure knows why they eat grass - it could be to settle their stomach or to make them sick.

Sadie has always eaten grass - yet she never is sick. I think she eats it as part of her balanced diet
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Georgie grazes like a horse on fresh spring grass, he always has, he's never thrown up after, and it's a very hard job moving him on coz he just wants to eat and eat and eat it!

Zena has never eaten grass! Cassie would only eat grass if she felt sick and then she'd always throw up, and once, when she was feeling very, very sick, she was obsessed with going out into the garden to eat it, she was quite paranoid about it. Dogs always know best, so I just let them eat it.

If they eat a lot, like Cassie did that time, it can be quite disgusting when it makes its way out t'other end, because you have to literally "pull" it out!!! Yuk! The poo turns very dark too!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Georgie grazes like a horse on fresh spring grass, he always has, he's never thrown up after, and it's a very hard job moving him on coz he just wants to eat and eat and eat it!
Sadie does this - it's weird!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Tilly has only eaten grass twice! Both times to make herself sick when she had got a sticky bud thing stuck in her throat & was coughing. It worked too - clever really!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks folks.
I have never had a dog eat grass quite like Pepsi is doing. She even asked to go out at 6 this morning and I swear all she did was eat grass
She hasn't been sick yet so I haven't been too worried.
I agree about the poo Helene, hubby says Pepsi's comes out neatly wrapped in grass
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Our old Lab used to eat grass often, was never sick so far as I can remember. Now both Rianna and Baruska will eat a little in the spring time, where we walk there's little danger from herbicides or weed kiler so we just let them munch on what they want but neither eats aywhere near as much as Ria (our old Lab)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >