View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Pick three books to go in your case.....

Ok, I love reading and often try new genres.Recently my mum read a thriller at abook club she goes to. She loved it and never normally reads such books. I thought it would be great if we all shared our three favourite books(or less if struggling). This way we get lots of reccommendations and some great ideas for some holiday reading.

Try and tell us a little bit about them and include authors if possible....

Now I'm off to decide which three to choose to share .
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
The last time we talked books I'd just bought The Mascot..... and I actually got to read some on the plane to Poland! It's very good so far.
So, as I never have much time to myself, I would continue with that one, one book is enough as I'd never manage three.
I will be taking it tomorrow to Denmark & Sweden, but may not get much reading done.

Here's the link to it's details......
http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3...y/Product.html
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Gosh I'm into allsorts. I take it this is Non dog books

OK first would have to be "The Pinocchio Syndrome" (David Zemen) http://www.ciao.co.uk/The_Pinocchio_...Zeman__5613884 (A thriller of political intrigue, personal betrayal and cutting-edge science) Not my 'thing' but loved this book, and since have read a lot more similar.

Second would be "Anyone but him" (Sheila O'Flanagan) http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/o/...ne-but-him.htm (although any of this Author's books, have had me in stitches, she is witty, clever and modern in her approach to writing). Also Any of Catherine Alliots books also.

Third ....... Errrr I've read so many hundreds of books, my brain hurts
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Do they have to be fiction ?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 11:36 PM
ok all time fave To kill a mocking bird - brilliant classic book such a great story!

the shopaholic series - They are soooo funny!! basically about a shopoholic called rebecca and the scrapes etc...interspersed with letters from her bank manager!

and fianlly anything by dean koontz...thrillers but written so well!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Do they have to be fiction ?
Just pick 3 and stop being awkward
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Just pick 3 and stop being awkward
I just wanted to check. Compared to my sister (Fudgeley) I read so little despite me having all her books

I've always got my head in non fiction books though.

OK - The book Moobli by Mike Tomkies - I've been saving it for my highland holiday in a few weeks and wanted to read it for ages so I'll say that.

In terms of stuff I've read - Jame's Herbert - I can plough through in a night although if I'm in the mood to 'read' Clive Barker's Weaveworld or Steven King are good.

Lord of the Rings would be up there too.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I just wanted to check. Compared to my sister (Fudgeley) I read so little despite me having all her books

I've always got my head in non fiction books though.

OK - The book Moobli by Mike Tomkies - I've been saving it for my highland holiday in a few weeks and wanted to read it for ages so I'll say that.

In terms of stuff I've read - Jame's Herbert - I can plough through in a night although if I'm in the mood to 'read' Clive Barker's Weaveworld or Steven King are good.

Lord of the Rings would be up there too.
Now I love STephen Kings' but they are always naff when made into movies

Needful things is my fave, and Dolores Claiborne
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Needful things is good.

I like the older ones (The Shining, Misery, Cujo, Salems Lot etc) but his more recent ones which are less 'horror' are good. 'Cell' - the virus spread by mobile phones I started to read and I was enjoying it but I've lost it.

Clive Barker's big novels are just so complex - need to be in the mood for them though. Imajica, Weaveworld etc.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Needful things is good.

I like the older ones (The Shining, Misery, Cujo, Salems Lot etc) but his more recent ones which are less 'horror' are good. 'Cell' - the virus spread by mobile phones I started to read and I was enjoying it but I've lost it.

Clive Barker's big novels are just so complex - need to be in the mood for them though. Imajica, Weaveworld etc.
Agreed, I like SKs older stuff too. The ones you mention are def the best he did. I tried to read Dreamcatcher several times and got really bored with it, finally got through it and thought it was poo !

Never read Clive Barkers' tho. Will have to give him a try
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >