Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think that's strange wanting to take the dog out alone without you? When we saw a beahviourist (re Cherry and fear reactivity to other dogs) he wanted to go out WITH me and, I presume, then he watched how I reacted to Cherry's behaviour as well as it is about the owner's as well as the dog's behaviour!
I agree that that's really odd. Any decent trainer knows that most of training is teaching the owner how to do things so that they can train their dog. The people I know who do behavior mod always want to see the owner and dog interact in their normal environment and just hang back and observe them for quite some time. They go for walks where they simply stay out of the way and observe.

I can't imagine ever letting a trainer, especially one I didn't know, take my dog out of my line of vision and do SOMETHING with her. How someone can let Cesar have 2 hours alone with their dog is beyond me. I'd stick a camera somewhere he didn't know about. Or put a recording device on the dog's collar so that you could hear the things he said and did.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The alone thing can give you a better idea of weather its the dog problem or owners problem.

E;g if you take the dog off the owner and it starts walking to heel/ignoring other dogs and following you commands you probably have an owner problem!

Of course even if you do all the dogs training yoursleve you still have to teach the dog to work for the owner as well.
That said when I have done this you can progress very much faster because the dog is learning from you and you are likely to be better than the owner.

Then when you team them up you just have to teach the owner maintenance skills instead of training skills, which is very much easier.

Adam
Except training is STILL about the relationship between the owner and the dog. Ultimately it doesn't much matter WHO is the major issue. You STILL have to work with the owner to have them work with the dog.

You can spend weeks training a dog and it can be perfect for you, but it won't respond at all to the owner. Different voice. Different way of saying commands or giving hand signals. Owner moves in a different way or acts nervous or anxious or pulls the lead tight or what have you.

When I was working on reactivity with my dog, it was partially her needing to learn self control and partially ME needing to learn to relax. Sure a trainer could have taught her to relax, but when I would pull on the lead and set her off anyway. Which means the trainer didn't help the situation AT ALL.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
^^ absolutely
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Except training is STILL about the relationship between the owner and the dog. Ultimately it doesn't much matter WHO is the major issue. You STILL have to work with the owner to have them work with the dog.

You can spend weeks training a dog and it can be perfect for you, but it won't respond at all to the owner. Different voice. Different way of saying commands or giving hand signals. Owner moves in a different way or acts nervous or anxious or pulls the lead tight or what have you.

When I was working on reactivity with my dog, it was partially her needing to learn self control and partially ME needing to learn to relax. Sure a trainer could have taught her to relax, but when I would pull on the lead and set her off anyway. Which means the trainer didn't help the situation AT ALL.

Totally agree!

Our trainer told me in the first session: 'I am not here to train your dog. I am here to train you on how to manage your dog.'

Just because a dog walks nicely for a trainer, who probably exudes confidence, doesn't mean at all that this will generalise to walking well for the owner!
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I watch the guy I admit, but how much of anything is real may we ask ourselves... & that goes for any show, I mean I like to watch shows such as Operation Repo & All worked Up but I question how real they are.

I have to admit that I will use adversives when they are needed, esp when my dogs are doing something that can get them hurt or more importantly get someone else hurt. Personally I want my doggies to know there is negitive consequence for negitive actions, & positive consequences for positive actions.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5